Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a fishing trip and would like to kayak the Current River blue ribbon section and on down to the white and maybe below. Anyone have any tips on camping along the river or just in general about that part of the river?

Late April is the time frame, looking to camp 2 nights and be on the river for 3 days.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Great float, lots to see. I think as long as you stay above Round Spring you will be away from powerboats. At least under 40HP. Not sure where the white ribbon section ends, probably around Akers Ferry. Should be plenty water in April, it gets a little skinny around Baptist/Montauk sometimes, but still plenty navigable. There’s good gravel bars for camping around every corner, so no worries there. You can buy beer and ice and such along the way at most of the put-ins. The river will move you along at 2-3mph without paddling, so it won’t take you long. There’s only about one day worth of trout water unless you slow way down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The river will move you along at 2-3mph without paddling, so it won't take you long. There's only about one day worth of trout water unless you slow way down.
I was thinking of putting in at Baptist and ending at Akers Ferry.

I just found a better map that shows lower sections of the river and I think it would be more fun to exit at Round Spring

·
Banned
7,228 Posts

I just found a better map that shows lower sections of the river and I think it would be more fun to exit at Round Spring
I've done that section in 2.5 days. Akers to RS is gorgeous with a lot to see. Old CCC cabin at Akers, Cave Springs in between, then Round Springs itself is great. Lotta chain pickerel in the weed beds in slack water. Good smallmouth Action.

·
Registered
639 Posts

That's a good float! There are some darn good brown trout in that upper stretch and the rainbows from Cedar Grove to Akers will wear out a good rod and reel.

Bring a minnow trap for fishing below CG. Big rainbows are meat eaters and they can't resist a minnow drifted under a small float. Make sure you check out Welch Cave then spend plenty of time probing the confluence of Welch Spring and the river, giant 'bows hunt there!

Reactions: TexasCountyMoHunter
1 - 10 of 10 Posts