Curing your meat

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by ckbuck, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Buddy of mine got a buck this weekend. He deboned it and gave me the meat. I have had it in a cooler with ice and water since. Do I just cut it up and put it in the freezer or what?

2. TrackerCasey

TrackerCasey Active Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mid-Michigan

3. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Yep, that's about it.

If it's not too late, I would make sure the meat isn't in contact with the water in the cooler. You should have it wrapped if you have it in ice and water.

Ideally you could let it cure, but if you don't have the equipment to hang it I'd say you're best suited to just cut it up and stick it in the freezer.

4. wheels25

wheels25 Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Belton, MO
    i alway wrap in saran wrap then freezer wrap it

5. ckbuck

ckbuck New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    For some reason I was told to put it in salt and ice and change the water daily for 3 or 4 days. The meet is gray though so I didn't know if that was normal or what.

6. DEAD (I)

DEAD (I) New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I always let it sit in ice water for a few days changing the water daily letting it bleed out probaly 3 days, then cut all the silver crap out slice it how you would cook it add some marinades of your choice put in bags and freeze.:cheers:

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1886070&tid=131405&author=ckbuck]For some reason I was told to put it in salt and ice and change the water daily for 3 or 4 days. The meet is gray though so I didn't know if that was normal or what.[/rquote]
    That almost sounds like you are brining it :shrug:

I never soak it out before freezing. I can always do that later if needed.
    The longer its in contact with non-sanitary surfaces (like most coolers) the better chance bacteria will develop. :02:

8. DEAD (I)

DEAD (I) New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    36 and still kicking make sure u dont eat it raw........cook it good an hot... A1 HAS SOME GOOD MARINADE TO PUT WITH THE MEAT BEFORE YOU FREEZE IT TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT:cheers:

9. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    I always soak mine in a cooler of salted Ice and drain the water off daily.

10. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Never let mine get wet. It ain't duck or dove you know.:cheers:

11. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    Water never touches my deer unless it is gutshot or gets something on it.

12. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1886721&tid=131405&author=Grumpy]Water never touches my deer unless it is gutshot or gets something on it. [/rquote]

i'll rinse out the chest cavity, but other than that...i'm right there with ya on this one.

13. I was it in vinegar and then separate in freezer paper but don't put it in hugh chunks put in amounts on how u are going to use it

14. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    [rquote=1886097&tid=131405&author=rat][rquote=1886070&tid=131405&author=ckbuck]For some reason I was told to put it in salt and ice and change the water daily for 3 or 4 days. The meet is gray though so I didn't know if that was normal or what.[/rquote]
    That almost sounds like you are brining it :shrug:

I never soak it out before freezing. I can always do that later if needed.
    The longer its in contact with non-sanitary surfaces (like most coolers) the better chance bacteria will develop. :02:[/rquote]

WE ALWAYS SOAK OURS IN WATER, SALT AND ICE. 3 OR 4 DAYS. BEEN DOING IT THAT WAY FOR YEARS!! THEN WE CLEAN IT UP, CUT IT UP AND GRIND IT UP. FREEZE AND GO!

15. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    Salt water draws the blood out.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    why draw the blood out? does everyone soak their ribeye's and tbone steaks in salt water before cooking them?

17. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    Why would you treat deer any different than beef or pork. You don't soak them do you?
    I would think you would loose a lot of flavor by soaking them.

18. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

kinda what i was thinkin jeremy.i guess it gets rid of the "wild game" taste that people dont like.but then why shoot wild game:rof2: or im sorry harvest wild animals:claphands:

19. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    You lose the wild flavor. your pork and beef dont eat the same thing. Gives the meat better flavor and less blood running out while your trying to vacuum seal it.

20. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    [rquote=1886739&tid=131405&author=Jeremy]why draw the blood out? does everyone soak their ribeye's and tbone steaks in salt water before cooking them?[/rquote]

Jeremy is spot on.:cheers: