Cull or Trophy buck?...

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Mastevt, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    Got this guy on camera today. I think he is the same guy Brandon passed on last year cuz he said he only had one side. Later after the season I got him on camera, so I know he made it. I'm guessing he's the same guy. Last years pic of him, his left like was gone. Maybe broken off in a fight is what we figured. Didn't think it was undeveloped like this.

So, would you take him out as a cull, or take him as a unique trophy?

[file]145795[/file]

2. kxpete627

kxpete627 New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Centralia, MO
    european mount would look cool

3. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    looks to be at least 2.5...cull

4. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
  5. riverrat09

riverrat09 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Norborne, Mo
    Unique trophy... I'd guess that he has had some previous injury that is causing his antler to be growing like that.

6. BIG-DH

BIG-DH New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    i wld cull buck him, take one for the rest of the guys and eliminate him from the heard! :D

7. vmcfadden

vmcfadden Member

Oct 5, 2008
    PA
    Give him one more year he may grow that side. He could have had an injury last fall that caused that side not grow or he could have hit it on something when growing.

8. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

Personally I would Cull Him or let a Youth take him as a 1st Deer?We got a picture of a Buck similar to yours only he has 4 points on the other side and a nice long Spike on the oposite side!

9. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

its a wild deer. culling him aint gonna do much besides punchin a tag on him. if you aint happy with shootin him find someone who will or wait till next year. who knows he might drop out a 150 rack next year or go all freaky................id pass him though to many possibiltys that coulda played into his right side

10. Seen that same genetic traight, his offspring will look the same I'm betting. That is what has happened at my buddies place. Cull him quick as ya can.

11. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    id shoot him as a trophy, i love weird racks
    :eek::

12. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    I don't understand the whole "cull or let a youth take him" I don't know if maybe the area's I deer hunt are different than everyone elses, but I get pictures of deer that I never see and end up shooting deer I don't have a picture of. I love the whole "let a youth shoot him" so your gonna give a youth permission to hunt as long he only kills that deer?

me I'd have to decide on whether or not to shoot when he's in front of me :cheers:

13. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    No such thing as a cull on ofree ranging whitetails, unless of course you're managing several thousand contiguous acres.

Shoot him if you want as a trophy, otherwise let him be. He offspring born on your property are dispersing elswhere anyway, isn't going to ruin your genetics.

14. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    [rquote=1878920&tid=130838&author=Hoytshooter]
    Shoot him if you want as a trophy, otherwise let him be. He offspring born on your property are dispersing elswhere anyway, isn't going to ruin your genetics.[/rquote]
    The other 1/2 of the breeding pair has something to say about genetics too. :wave:

15. [rquote=1878920&tid=130838&author=Hoytshooter]No such thing as a cull on ofree ranging whitetails, unless of course you're managing several thousand contiguous acres.

Shoot him if you want as a trophy, otherwise let him be. He offspring born on your property are dispersing elswhere anyway, isn't going to ruin your genetics.[/rquote]

Took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers:thinking:)

16. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    NO SUCH THING AS A CULL BUCK! i would wait to see what he grows into! all bucks with proper nutrition can become monsters i believe!

17. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    i believe in cull bucks. little bucks, medium bucks, big bucks, huge bucks and yes, cull bucks. there are just some genetics i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.:D

18. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    He's a shooter to me.

19. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I've got a Euro mount of one that ain't too much different than that one. Was a mature 4.5 - 5.5 year old deer, and you could tell he was a fighter. He as all scarred up.... Came stompin in to the sound of a vector grunter....

Took him with my bow in 08, and still one of my favorite deer ever, even though his rack wasn't much.....:D

While I like a big ole rack as much as the next guy, I also get a kick out of taken an old buck like this, especially with my bow...:D

[file]145922[/file]

20. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1878727&tid=130838&author=Scott_288]its a wild deer. culling him aint gonna do much besides punchin a tag on him. if you aint happy with shootin him find someone who will or wait till next year. who knows he might drop out a 150 rack next year or go all freaky................id pass him though to many possibiltys that coulda played into his right side[/rquote]

No need for me to type out a long explanation of why I'd give him a pass. Scott already did.:2thumbsup: