Ct 2017

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Cedar Thicket, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

11-4 pm. Game was moving. Saw two flocks of turkeys, a bunch of coons and 15 deer. 11 does filed out into the field, and real late a buck was nudging 3 more does around. To late to tell what he was. Nephew and bro saw a bunch too, Great night on the farm.

20' likes this.
  2. Cedar Thicket

11-5 am.
    Calm at first with a little drizzle coming in round 715. Two small does crossed the field. Shortly after two small bucks cruised right past the stand. 9am another buck came by, funky thing that looked like a 12 inch dagger, didn't get a real good look. Small 6 pointer went by as well.

20' likes this.

3. Cedar Thicket

11-5 pm.
    5 min after arriving at stand I see a buck walk by on the other side of the creek. 330 had a lone doe cross the field, she ate in the field for two hours. Ended up seeing 6 does

4. Cedar Thicket

11-6 pm
    Cool and breezy. Wind was swirling something fierce. Had 9 deer in the field at once. Ended up seeing 12. 11 does and one spike running all over the place. Great couple days in the woods.

5. Cedar Thicket

Went through a few cards sitting the last 2 weeks. Slowed down. Hoping a stranger thats large shows up this weekend. 1.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

6. Cedar Thicket

Opening morning.
    Saw 5 does and two small 8 pointers. Stayed up too late having fun last night. Not an over abundance of shooting around me.

[​IMG]

11-11 pm
    Two does laying in my path on the way in again. Climb in the stand and have a spike go by just after. Deer started coming from everywhere. 430 had this 10 push 5 does into the field. Knew he was young and not huge, but I wanted him anyway :). 35 did the job at 175 yards. What a fun night.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Cedar Thicket

Had some great few days hunting with some awesome weather. We saw so many more deer this year than we have any other year, was great to experience!

I shot my buck Saturday night, and the next evening my bro got his, a nice heavy mature 10.

Full meat pole to enjoys some drinks around.

Was hoping to shoot some coyotes after filling my tag but didn't have one sighting.

IMG_4616.JPG IMG_4619.JPG IMG_4620.JPG IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4611.JPG

Kilamodeer, Dafish, 421sd and 2 others like this.
  8. Muzzy-83

Muzzy-83 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Adair Co
    Couple of great looking bucks, congrats to both of you.

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Nothing wrong with either of those and you put a nice shot on your buck. :cheers:

10. Cedar Thicket

Thanks! :clap:

:tup:

He was one of the smallest bodied bucks I have ever seen.

11. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    great work Bryan!!!! Congrats!!!

12. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
  13. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I think you got the one in your trail cam pics! Congrats!:cheers:

14. Cedar Thicket

Thanks gentleman!

Yup for sure. He was pretty visible around the place this year. Well, on the cams.

15. Cedar Thicket

Another great weekend. Didn't put in much stand time, but put in enough. Went up mid morning saturday, and brought my son since we were bucked out. Figured we could sit in the warm shooting house and find us a doe.

We elected to pass 2 big does on the walk in, just so we could at least get to the stand and have more of a 'hunting experience'. Saw a few does but they were tiny's. He was starting to think we should have shot the first two we saw. I told him I was pretty darn confident we were going to see a bunch more.

440 I saw movement in the bottom of the other field 150 away, so Im getting my gun ready to see if its a doe and as i do I see movement at the bottom of my window 25 yards away. He sees her and is going SHOOT her dad, SHOOT her..... I shot and she ran with one leg flapping down the hill. He was outta his mind excited. Never expected that from him but the dude was pumped. Found zero blood, and I was almost at a loss after glassing around the woods. 20 min in and nothing to go on I make one more pass though a spot we didn't look yet. I cross the ditch and I'm really just confused. I turn around to him on the other side of the ditch that I just crossed and I see this her down right next to him. (pic 3) If I wouldn't have turned around she'd still be sitting there. He doesn't know the deer is there in this pic, and still thinks we aren't finding her, lol.

I got down near him and said son Im sorry bud. (were 4 feet from the deer) He gets teary eyed so I stop with that, and point over his shoulder and say look there. He went from tears to the greatest laugh ever.

He didn't pull the trigger, but got some much needed hunting/gun experience this weekend that he hasn't had much of before. Won't be long and it will be him behind the gun.

Green jeans showed up Sun morning and woke us up at 9am (lol) to confirm our tag and tele check.

Super fun weekend.

IMG_4634.JPG IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4638.JPG IMG_4639.JPG IMG_4645.JPG

16. Cedar Thicket

Sitting here watching football while the smoker does it's job on 25 pounds of deer summer sausage. I guess I'll just side inside and and drink bud lights until the temp hits 155. Ahhhhh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HEAVY and Maddog3355 like this.
  17. Cedar Thicket

Done and blooming.

Took 8 beers to complete

[​IMG]

HEAVY and jehrbo like this.
  18. Muzzy-83

Muzzy-83 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Adair Co
  19. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
  20. Cedar Thicket

Got out for the last time on Saturday eve. I hunted my stand and saw between 12-16, all does one spike and a mid sized 8.

Friend hunted the back 20, kicked up a dozen going in but only saw a coyote on stand.

Cousin sat in the box blind. When we met up he said he saw 45 deer. Took me a minute to understand he was serious. All does with 2 small bucks from what he could tell.

Seems we are a little overrun with does at the moment. Trail Cameras show more bucks, but thats sure a lot of woman running around.

Also had a few trespassers come through, one on atv got a really good shot of him, one at night with head lamp, and one the day after rifle closed with two bird dogs.

Nuther fun season in the books.