Ct 2017

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Cedar Thicket, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Today ended well. Taxi called me midday and I went over after work to pick this guy up. Pretty excited. He'll be on the pedestal before long.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cedar Thicket

Finally headed out west after todays work day. Everything's in order and looking forward to a fun week there. Weather don't look great as it shows a Very high likelihood of rain every single day we are there. Should be dang near Colorado springs by sun up. Ill be off the grid for awhile and loving every minute of it.

Kilamodeer, gurgalunas and Dafish like this.

3. Cedar Thicket

Welp, another year of non success in the great state of Colorado. Cannot say that we didn’t have a blast though.

We were halfway up the mountain each morning when the sun started to barely light up the sky, we heard buggles about half the days we were there. Day one started out with bugles at the peak of the mountain about an hour climb away. We sat tight hoping for other options. My brother had one come in bugling to 100 yards at 9am behind some boulders but wouldn’t commit anymore. no shot opp.

Day 2 was a hindsight 20/20 day. Had a buggle coming up the mountian guessing 5-600 yards away around 10:30am. We were set up in a perfect spot so again we sat tight for a bit hoping he would continue to head up and more our way. He sounded to be heading away from us on the third buggle. That didn’t happen as his last bugle was even with us and he was still 200 or so yards away. We mozied over there slow and found no less than 15 piles of fresh crapola.

It rained every day except one at 1pm on the mountain. And there was some decent sign continuing to show up, we just coundn’t be a step ahead of them.

I spent my anniversary and birthday on the mountain this year. Friday was my birthday, and we were pretty whooped from a hard week of hunting. First day we slept in a bit as it rained the entire night. I started up the mountain around 7:30 while the other guys got another hour or so. Hunting slow, slow, I was calling about every 75 yards or so listening and looking. After pausing for 3 minutes I step slowly out of a dark timber and fallen spot I hear crashing dead to my right. See elk butt, I cow call. He stops at about 100 yards and half moons me for 10 minutes trying to figure me out. I have gun ready and waiting for an opening. Too thick and hilly for anything, but can see that he is a really nice bull. Wind changes and he walks down a bit more to catch my scent, he does. Then walks up and away from me with the quickness.

I guess I got to go back, ha. Really rethinking the mountain we hunt now. Too much good hunting time spent there without any results. One thing I can say is we put the time and effert in. We ended up coming across 6 hunters lower on our mountain than we hunt, but thats still 5 more hunters than we have ever seen there. We saw some cow elk, bears, wolverines, ferrets, got wet, got hot, got cold and had way to many laughs to count.

1.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Dafish, Maddog3355 and HarvDog like this.
  4. Cedar Thicket

Looking to finally crawl into a stand this weekend. Sat is warm but Sundays forecast is shaping up nice with a 12 degree temp drop, slow NW wind and not much for a moon. Heres to hoping it stays the same.

5. Cedar Thicket

Homeboy found his final resting place. Was gunna take the plaque board off but decided it didn't bother me that bad, and I can switch up mounts pretty easily this way to mix things up. Just got to put the spanish moss and glue some tall grass on the top of the pedestal. Thats his shed from 2 years ago on top. The bullet I recovered in him is there too.

I like his presence in the corner of the family room right in plain view. :cheers: IMG_4413.JPG

rat, Kilamodeer, gentleben and 3 others like this.
  6. Cedar Thicket

10-21 evening.

Warm and windy. 430 mom and fawn come down the standing bean field into my apply and pear seedlings. They circled around and came right under the stand. 550 a small 6 walked by at 45 yards to the north of me. 635 spike came in Literally under the stand and was licking it. 5 total deer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Cedar Thicket

10-22 evening.

Overcast and calm. Ended up seeing 2 spikes, a small 6 and two does. Was some snorting going on late to the north of me.

8. Cedar Thicket

Lots of pics to go through. Scraps and rubs are starting to cover the farm. Tons of does, fawns and small bucks. Too many coon pics too.

1.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg

Kilamodeer, Maddog3355 and Dafish like this.
  9. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    That double beam buck will be cool as hell if he lives long enough.

10. Cedar Thicket

Hoping just sheer lack of any size at all gets him through at least this year.

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  11. Cedar Thicket

Very fun morning before work. Had the privilege of helping a buddy on a very short track job. Our two boys got to get involved which was super cool. Got the typical video, adults see the buck grounded and watch the boys trail blood right up to two feet before seeing him. :rofl:

Buck was cleaning up scrapes last night, and deer flinched a bit during shot, so buddy decided to wait to be sure. Very cool buck. Happy for him.

111.jpg 1112.jpg

12. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    You need to kill that bobcat.

13. Cedar Thicket

I kinda had one chance, was at 20 yards, but it was like one or two days before the season opened

14. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
  15. Cedar Thicket

:D

16. Cedar Thicket

11-4 am. Calm and warm. Slight mist as we left for the stand. Had a doe picking around in the field bout 8. Turkeys were sure making a racquet early on. 9am a small 8 came through feeding on acorns. 1015 had a doe feeding at the top of my cut beanfield.

Brother saw a white racked shooter this morning.

Saw 3 B502 bombers fly over head on my way in to stand this afternoon. Kinda cool. Also had two does laying down in my path as I came in earlier. Hoping for a good sit tonight.

[​IMG]