Ct 2016

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Cedar Thicket, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Had this guy in the box blind with me Saturday night on a doe mission. Had a small opportunity late but dad couldn't make it happen. He did not approve lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    That's a right comfy looking blind!

Nice season for you CT!!

3. Cedar Thicket

Thanks. You aint lying either. First time Ive ever hunted outta a box blind. Carried a buddy heater just to make sure my lil guy was comfy, cause it was 30 degrees and breezy. Never turned it on. Just cutting every bit of the wind off was simply amazing.

Wide soft reclining chairs weren't bad either. :D

4. Cedar Thicket

Looking through the few sheds I have found off our place, pretty sure I found my bucks right side from two years ago.
    [​IMG]

Given the angle of the shot, I also recovered the bullet. It's cleaned up and I'd like to incorporate it into the mount somehow, just not sure how
    [​IMG]

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Did you happen to weigh your bullet to see how much it retained? I have had three deer where I was able to recover the bullet and its interesting to see how much mass they retained.

6. Cedar Thicket

I have not. But something I could do. Not sure where I would find and accurate enough scale. My reloading cousin isn't real close to me.

7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    What bullet was that, I would have expected a 35 Rem to exit. Haven't seen a lot of deer shot with them but I thought sure the heavy bullet would exit on all but a double shoulder on a big buck.

8. Cedar Thicket

First for me and Ive hunted soley with this gun for 20 seasons. Hornady LeverRevolution 200gr..... He was more than quartering away hard at 60 yards or so. Figuring the vitals, I put it just in front of the back ham and it was lodged just under the skin on the bottom side of neck on the opposite side. Bullet is expanded but looks nearly intact to me.

9. fishshooter

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Sounds like it did pretty good then, that was a big bodied deer and a lot of deer to go through. Just always curious about bullets cause there are a few common brands I consider only useful on tree rats and rabbits in the 30 cal line:rules:

Nothing makes me madder than poor bullet performance.

10. Cedar Thicket

Yea it did the job. Ive hunted with the Hornady for maybe 5-6 seasons now, core-locs every year before that. I went to these to get maybe some extra distance out of the gun. I did get that, and they shoot great groups. The gun absolutely loves them.

It may be just me, but I do feel like the core-locs put them down a little bit faster. Granted none have gone too overly far with the Hornady (this guy went prolly 40-50 yards on the run and nearly got another bullet but he slowed down and started the death stumble) but I have had on two occasions double lunged a deer perfectly that ran 80 or so yards, don't ever remember that happening with the core-locs. Again, maybe its just me who knows.

11. fishshooter

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I imagine they did work out well out of a 35, but I have seen them blow up on multiple deer usually under similar conditions, close range and big bodied deer. My suspicion has always been they were going too fast.

Course in the 30-30, the 35 or the 45-70 we shoot the Hornady also. Always figure a box of ammo even the premium bullets are cheap in the overall cost of the hunt, and the hunt depends on the bullet.

12. Cedar Thicket

Good to know. Yea Im not switching back anytime soon, doesn't sound like you are either. :2thumbsup:

13. Cedar Thicket

Got my hands on a digital scale. Not sure how accurate it is but got either 12 or 12.1 grams after resetting and weighing a few different times.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Looks like you can press that units button and switch to grains, save you some math.

Pretty neat to get your bullet back. :cheers:

15. Cedar Thicket

Yea the thing was finicky with the batteries staying connected and the buttons so I just left good enough alone.

Makes me wonder how much I can trust the results on the dang thing now anyways :D