Ct 2015

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Cedar Thicket, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Thanks 20. I hunted pretty dang hard the past 4 days straight. Lots and lots of deer seen for our place. Hoping I get rewarded at some point.

2. Cedar Thicket

11-8 am. Cold and quiet. Almost to calm. Started out by kicking every deer in the county out from under my stand. Figured that would mean it's my hunt to get skunked. Then had the neighbor walk through the woods down the property line at good ole 7am. Saw the backside of one doe about 80 yards downwind running away. Only deer I saw.

11-8 pm. Last bowhunt to get it done as my daily life most likely won't allow another. Big fat doe was bedded 20 yards from stand when I arrived. Wind doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. 3 does with 15 minutes left mozzy into the field.

The two colder days produces less deer sightings than the warmer two. Huh.

3. Cedar Thicket

Had this guy cruise through a week ago. Cruddy pic but he looks pretty good.

Attached Files:

4. Cedar Thicket

Opening morning. Once again kicked every deer in the county out from under my stand. Two seperate does in field early. Had a half rack forky chase a doe by grunting the whole time. Bout 8 had a small 6 run a doe to about 60 yards. The forky and 6 puffed up and side stepped each other for a bit, then ran off. Forky came back through pushing 2 more does.

11-14 pm. Watched a button head feed on acorns early for about 45 minutes. Had 10 does buttons and small bucks staging in the acorns before hitting the field with 20 minutes left. Had a buck with decent headgear walk by at 30 yards with 2 does. Too dark for a good look. I guess 15+ total.

5. HarvDog

HarvDog Bro Staff

Mar 14, 2010
    East Side
    I'm not sure your stand is a good morning spot CT. Lol

6. Cedar Thicket

11-15 am. Kicked every deer out under the stand again. I need to figure a morning alternative to my favorite stand I guess. Saw one doe at first light. Brother shot a 10 pointer at 740. There's downfalls to shooting them on the other side of the creek
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11-15 pm. Had a doe and a button come by early, maybe 330. Decided to take the doe since it was so early. Plus rain for the next two days at least I can debone alongside my bro tomorrow while we drink beer if it's nasty. Spike came same path through about 30 minutes later. It's amazing to me the amount of tiny bucks that are around here dang. 4 deer seen.

7. Cedar Thicket

Ain't that the truth. It's those darn acorns. I get thoroughly mad every time it happens. I guess I'm stubborn. And we don't have too many stands to choose from, and they are all evening stands from history's sake.

8. Cedar Thicket

11-16 am. Windy rainy drink too much sleep in morning. Debone our deer under the overhang while it rained.

11-16 pm. Damp and dark. Hoping he will show tonight with rain all day tomorrow in the forecast. 0 deer seen

9. Cedar Thicket

11-17 am. Another wonderful vacation day to use for deer hunting. Rainy, WINDY, and warm. Decided I wasn't missing hunting again so got the rain gear on and went out when it was light enough to see. Standing under my tower frame to block most the water. Had a doe at 20 yards she didn't even look at me. saw another doe trot through the clover. Thinking maybe this will work out, was hoping a buck was on her tail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11-17 pm. Raining. Saw two does crossing the corn 150 yards away. They were hard to see given the conditions

10. Cedar Thicket

Looks like Saturdays gunna be a doozy for a tree stand. High of 35˚ with 22mph winds. Gunna try and stick it out.

Got to do a little repair work this week for the damage the tree rats caused. Jack wads. Never seen this before. Hoping its something a little caulk can handle, just enough to keep moisture out of the inside.

[​IMG]

11. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Great looking spot, good luck this weekend. I hate squirrels. :D

12. Cedar Thicket

:cheers:

13. Trykon_Buck

Trykon_Buck Active Member

Some warm food from Hawg Fathers bbq or AJ's will fix ya' up.. :D

14. Cedar Thicket

11-21 am. Slightly snowing and windy. Early had what I thought was a buck walk by at 35 yards. Two minutes later had 4 does wiggle by and stop at 60 yards. I'm looking for him coming next!! Two minutes later I see another black blob outlined in the snow coming by at 35 yards. I can't hear these deer at all. I got my scope up looking at the head. I know it's a buck but can't tell size. I'm trying but it's dark. He's paralleling me and moving behind trees. Could of shot few times but didn't know what he was. He gets to the neighbor and is going away from me now and I get a pretty good peek this time. Good enough I would have shot him. Dang!! The only deer all year to cut through there and not hang a bit on acorns. He follows the does. Alls I needed was a few minutes and I'd been a happy guy. 13 deer total.

11-21 pm. Knowing there's prolly deer under my stand I head out earlier. Creeping slow about 60 yards away from stand, and whad ya know I catch 3 does in the acorns. I camp for about 40 and wait til they mozzy away. No spookage. Calm and cool, feels nice! They came back in 20 minutes later, ha. Nephew had 9 does in his field at once, not one buck. I saw 7 deer total

[​IMG]

15. Cedar Thicket

11-22 am. Cold. Calm. Beautiful. Went out early. kicked two from stand. Two groups of three does hit my field just when you could see. That was the only action.

11-22 pm. More shooting tonight than normal. Assuming everyone is filling their doe tags. Two does in the clover plot. Halfway decent 8 came to acorns at last light, got scared off by two possums.

Acornland
    [​IMG]

16. Cedar Thicket

Been looking through some cards this morning. (Its what you do when you don't kill a buck)

Im pretty certain this is the buck that went past me Saturday morning in the snow while it was too dark to see much. This is the back view I saw when he was finally heading away.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
  17. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Wow, that's a nice one CT.... Hopefully you get another crack at him. :eek::

18. Cedar Thicket

Yea, me too!!

Experience and camera pics is beginning to tell me they use our farm TONS at night its ridiculous. Beginning to think Ill never catch a good one in daylight. Im still trying though.

Thats the 3rd buck just this year, that has gone past me with light just enough to know it had decent antlers on its head.

19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I didn't have daytime pics of either of the bucks I shot this year, sooner or later they can, and often do mess up. :D

20. Cedar Thicket

Decided to go through some cards that have been up at the farm for awhile. And since I forgot to bring them back to the farm last time I was there (and therefore won't have pics for the next month :stickfight: ) I decided to clean them.

Lots of blurry. Next time will be better cameras unless my cheap bone wins out again.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      54.2 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg