Ct 2015

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Cedar Thicket, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Only buck pic I had. Blurry, far and out of focus. Not sure if it appears to have a pair drop tines or not, or Im just hardcore wishing... :D

Attached Files:

2. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm going to hardcore wish for you too....

That would be NICE!

3. Cedar Thicket

Going up this weekend. Got some bobcat work to do in an old pond we drained. But other than that, will be hitting the stand for the first time this year. Weather looks pretty good for the weekend as well. Possibly a somewhat N wind and daily highs around 62-63. Hope is stays true.

4. Cedar Thicket

10-3 evening. Got to my ladder stand tree bout 415 and didn't see the stand. Initially thought someone stole it. It was laying on the ground. Looks at the rachett straps and looked like a squirrel was the culprit. Straps were perfect 3 weeks ago. Start the 600 yard walk back to the shack for another strap.

Get the stand rehung and settled it about 515. Had two toms sneak through one of my lanes at 35 yards. 615 had 5 does walk by within range but I elected to pass, they were headed right for the clover plot.

[​IMG]

At last light I here walking and I see a big body moving through the woods about 50-60 yards out. Pretty certain it's a buck because of body size. Wants nothing to do with can calls. He ends up looping around and at the end of my corn field about 70 yards away. It's lighter than in the woods and it's a real nice buck. Still hard to see but the frame of the rack was good. Looks at grunts but doesn't commit. Ends up walking away in the noisy dry standing corn.

Nice to see some nice antlers while in stand. Good first sit

5. Cedar Thicket

Corn should be coming out this week sometime. Scrapes had popped up all over the field edges.

Just checked cards, some cam pics from the last few weeks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      48.3 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      45.1 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
    • 110.jpg
      110.jpg
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
  6. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
  7. Cedar Thicket

Thanks 20. :cheers:

8. Cedar Thicket

Brother got his box blind done this weekend. I had kids games all weekend and couldn't participate in the fun.

Corn isn't out as of yesterday. This weekend I'll be in a tree and hopefully the deer are moving around.
    [​IMG]

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Looks like a nice spot for a stand like that. :eek::

10. Cedar Thicket

It is. After a few years of observation, its a pretty good spot for a permanent. Its right on the T of where a small creek goes into a large creek. With just a bit of limb clearing he can see all three 'pies' of ground around him pretty decent. Im a little jealous of this set up on a rainy, or overly cold windy day. :eek::

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  11. Cedar Thicket

10-24 am. Overcast and breezy. Corn was cut and the leaves were damp, making for a quiet entrance. Deer blew and bounced at the start of the walk to stand. Had two does feeding above the clover at the end of the corn field round 720 and hung for awhile. Another doe feeds on acorns threw the woods at 730. Shortly after lone doe at top of corn field. It wanted to drizzle all morning. 5 does total.

[​IMG]

12. Cedar Thicket

10-24 pm. talked with the farmer as he finished up cutting corn on our south side. Fairly calm to start hunting at 345. 440had a small buck push a doe through the clover into the woods, pushed her in a circle for a big til they moved off. 4 does came by single file at 20 yards with 15 minutes left, thought about taking one, release was on the the d loop, not sure why I didn't.

[​IMG]

13. Cedar Thicket

10-25 am. While it was cool and calm, didn't expect to see much after bumping deer out of the big field, and then bumping a few more out from under my stand walking in. I hate spooking deer. Squirrels were in full effect. Getting down from my stand, I see two does feeding in the woods so I stop and watch. As I'm standing mid ladder, with bow hanging in my hand two bigger does decide to walk right by me at 15 yards as I just watch Figures!! Sit for three hours seeing nothing and get down in the wrong three minutes.A spike comes by and harasses the other two does while grunting and walks them off.

10-25 pm. Last sit for awhile. Got way to warm today. Didn't see squat

14. Cedar Thicket

Few cam pics. Just waiting for one big boy to show up to peak my enthusiasm

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      52.7 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Cedar Thicket

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
    • 110.jpg
      110.jpg
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
    • 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Cedar Thicket

Alright, now that family time is done, Im excited to get some stand time. Weather looks pretty promising with the temps dropping later in the week. Hoping this short work week goes fast and I have some luck when I get there.

17. Cedar Thicket

11-5 am. Kicked two deer out my strip field. Got to my stand at 545. Heard a grunt while climbing my ladder what sounded about 40-50 yards. Getting light had a doe walk through the clover and by my stand. About when I was comfortable to see enough to shoot, I let out three soft grunts in case homeboy was still near. Immediately he pushed a big fat doe passed me on a mission, and stood at 10 yards looking for the buck. About a 100 inch 8 pointer. Pretty cool start! The 20 yard leaf free path into the woods to my stand helped that time. 7 deer total. 2 bucks pushing does.

11-5 pm. Farmer was discing the corn under on the other side of the farm. Doe followed by a tiny 6 point with 20 minutes left cross the field

Dinner and a drink!
    [​IMG]

18. Cedar Thicket

11-6 am. Rained fairly hard in the middle of the night. Cooler and calm I was expecting a good morning. It was like the squirrel olympics for awhile. Between 730-8 had two button bucks feeding on acorns walk under the stand.

11-6 pm. Warm! Had a spike walk by me at the edge of the woods at 330. As he passed I caught 3 does feeding on acorns about 50 yards., not sure how they got there. They moved right under my stand and mulled around for an hour, so long I thought about shooting one, but I hate to because of the possibility of a buck. Thats when the action started. They all looked one way and here comes a small 9 pointer. Closest action I've ever had. The nine checked all 4 does, lip cured, grunted, heavy footing, long necking all at 10 yards for five minutes. Chased them in the vicinity for awhile. The button buck right under me felt left out. Deer were everywhere. At last light a buck was following 5 does. I tried grunting to get him close faster case I couldn't tell what he was. they didn't like it and went the other was on a pretty quickly. I was in the right spot Friday night. Very cool! 15 deer seen.

[​IMG]

19. Cedar Thicket

11-7 am. 38 degrees and calm. Very nice out. Round 7 saw what looked to be an at his ears buck with a double main beam on one side. Didn't get a good look at him through the binoculars as he was moving along at 200 yards. Cousin saw him last night. 3 deer sightings total

I relocated 15 cedar trees mid-day, for windbreak and to conceal camp

11-7 pm. Warm and a bit breezy. But perfect wind direction for my favorite stand. Had a button buck 30 yards from my stand, but I snuck by and climbed up without the stupid thing knowing I was there. Early had a 6 point stop at war must be the hottest couple trees in the land. all the deer I've seen in the woods has stopped there for some time to eat acorns. 6 deer seen

[​IMG]

20. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    stay after them, good luck!!