CRP Contract to Plant Trees?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Redonthehead, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    Anyone have experience with signing up a CRP contract to plant trees? I'm part owner of some marginal land - its been in CRP for 18 years now and I'd like to see some of it planted to trees when the current contract is up in two years. We have a constant battle keeping willow and cottonwood trees out of it. I'd like to plant hardwoods and "let-'er-go".

I understand the contract is for 15 years and can potentially be renewed for 10 more. So if anyone out there has done or even considered this post up or PM me. Thanks!

2. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I sold a farm a few years back that was in the CRP program. I don't remember how many trees were planted, or who had to pay for it, but the CRP contract was very similar in price.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    your best bet would be to go see the county FSA, NRCS people. theywill help. what will more then likely happen is, you can re-up your contract in 07 as a tree planting contract, they will make a plan for ya, you will have to plant the trees not just what comes up naturally. i think the contract will be 15 years. I hope this helps.

4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    thats something i woud be interested in to.i sure would like to plant some good oak mass down on the farm maybe not for me.but hopefully we can keep it the family for the future hunter.:banana:

5. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Thats the key to it. The farm I sold had only been in the program for 8 or 9 years and it looked really bad. Just like someone had let it grow up in brush. I am sure in 20-30 years it will start looking pretty good.

6. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Talk to NRCS, FSA and MDC regarding cost share opportunities. I planted some trees in my CRP ground @ 4 or 5 years ago. White oak, black oak and persimmon. I mowed around them and such but the droughts have killed them all. I plan to replant some this year or next. There are some stipulations on what they will pay near the end of a CRP contract. But you will probably have several different options available - with different terms depending on what wildlife species you want to help and what kind of trees you want. Bottom line, talk to the folks and don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask them about borrowing their tree planter (pull behind the tractor). Good luck.