Crow Hunting

Discussion in 'Game Birds' started by Fishslayer12, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Fishslayer12

Fishslayer12 New Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Kansas City Mo
    What are your set ups or crow hunting tips?
  2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I've said this so many times that its sort of a running joke with some, but "dont shoot the scout bird". :) Often times when they hear a ruckus (assuming you will be using an e-caller or similar) a single bird will come in to investigate and either fly by or post up and call. Let him get comfortable and wait to shoot until you get a few others interested and flying in.
    Crows are smart, hide good, use good camoflauge. They hate birds of prey so I used to use a cheapie blow up garden owl decoy. Making crow silhouette decoys from cardboard are easy.
    If you get a crippled crow down they will all come in to investigate and you can get some good shooting in.
    It's been years since I have done it and other will come in with better advice I know... its something to do in the off season and can be fun.
    sharps4590, WBF and Clucker like this.

3. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Spitfire e-caller using crow calls is like crack to them.... You can use it 3 or 4 times in an area, then you'll need to move on though.... They wise up pretty quick to it. :wave1:

You can pile them up using this method, and like Rat said, don't shoot the first bird right off the bat, let them start swarming over you, and take a 2 or 3 of them.

Using shotguns of course. :wave1:
    sharps4590 likes this.
  4. bulletman

bulletman Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Assuming you are calling and shotgunning them. Hide, and hide some more. They are wary and get called to a lot more than you realize. Decoys work, motion works if they are a long ways away when you start your caller. I have used a black trash bag with a rock in it and throw it in the air a couple of times if they are a long way away to give motion to the setup. An old deer hide with a couple of decoys around it seems to keep their attention for a few extra shots, and koolaid (cherry) thrown on the snow with decoys around it works great when you get that opportunity.
  5. bulletman

bulletman Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    If you are shooting them with a rifle there's a couple three things you need to think about.
    1) Background, you have to make sure your bullet impacts a safe backstop and is contained. Ricochets and accidental bullet impacts can go wrong quick fast and in a hurry.
    2) Wind and Distance, you better know your bullet trajectory and wind drift, a crow kill zone isn't very wide or tall. I've missed my share of them but when a fast moving bullet smacks one the black cloud of feathers drifting in the air is a neat sight to see.
    sharps4590, WBF and fishshooter like this.
  6. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I’ve heard red rags thrown around the decoys help bring them in closer. Never done it so I can’t say for sure. Just a couple old fellers told me, so it must be true.
  7. tinhorn

tinhorn Member

Jun 29, 2016
    some guys use a stuff owl for crows, and works, but if an owl ate one of the crows on midnight for lunch lately they are afraid for a while.

try to get a fox pelt and look around "coves" around fields (especially cedars around the cove) and put the pelt over a few sticks on the ground like its alive. Hide along the cedars and start calling, likes the crows are mad. Be sure to take a dead crow with you for the next set-up and throw it on the ground like the fox caught the crow.

after the crow's take off, drive down the road a few miles and do it again You have to be farther than the crows you just hunted because they will fly there and tell the new crows all about it, they are smart. And you better wait a week to try again there because they "remember" LOL I mean it....

hopefully you have a long gravel road to do this, starting dawn to noon and stop on a restaurant for lunch....
  8. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Find where they are feeding, hide even better than you would while turkey hunting and turn on the call. It can be some fast and fun action. I have shot them with and without decoys. A grove of pecan trees can be a real hotspot.