Crossbow Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by MUHunter, Nov 12, 2010.

1. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    All,

Looking to purchase (along with family) a crossbow for my dad this year for Christmas and need some input. I have not a clue where to start......well except for here. So, any advice or experience would be appreciated. He has had several lower back disc related issues as well as surgeries and it seems this year he has just decided its too much to keep pulling the compound back so we have decided its time to help him make the switch. Thanks in advance!

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Get your hands on them for sure! There's a TON of them out there that feel like front heavy boat anchors!

Parker

3. Outlaw 101st

Outlaw 101st New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Elkhart Indiana
    Desert Striker....awsome crossbow

4. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    You nead to take into consideration if he will be abel to pull the string back on it to cock it or if he will nead help by a crank devise or have some one else load it for him for each shot.

If a crank devise is going to be neaded it will raise the prise some and some models ahve more user freindly crank devises.

I use a HOrton crossbow rt now but as sone as we can aford to do so ill be getting a ten point corssbow. Just my opinion but the ten points are the better ones of all brands out there making them.

5. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Active Member

Parker's on the money. I have a friend I helped get set up, and he chose the Horton. I thought all along if I was gonna live with that thing, it needed a counterweight over the shoulder. Sure would make it easier to hold and shoot true.
    The Horton is relatively cheap, and it sure hits hard, but the weighting is an issue.
    Are they all like that?
    If so, there's a market for counterweights of some sort!:confused:

6. yankee

yankee Senior Member

most bows are front heavy, because thats where the weight is, and lets face it, crossbows are a close range weapon with limited capabilities, in my opinion IF you purchase Tenpoint your purchasing a great product with a customer service second to no one, i have dealt with tenpoint CS twice now, top notch folks... and a very reputable company

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    man didnt realize poppa jim was getting in that bad of shape hate to hear that

8. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ten Point is Good but I really like Excalibur,less to go wrong and lighter Bow.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin Likes Board Stick and String.

9. seanilebuck

seanilebuck New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    midmo
    In my opinion both Ten Point and Excalibur are excellent xbows. I currently shoot a Horton, but the crank does not want to release when cocked. I have to use a string. Any suggestions?:confused:

10. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1925671&tid=131951&author=oneshot 1]Ten Point is Good but I really like Excalibur,less to go wrong and lighter Bow.
    [/rquote]

If I ever buy another crossbow, it will be an Excalibur. :02:

11. dafearlesshunter

dafearlesshunter New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Big Piney
    depends on ur price range, My father in law uses a Barnett Wildcat C-5 . Its not over priced either i think they can be bought for around 350-400 new It has a 3 dot scope and he says its just as good as putting a rifle in his hands :02:

12. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
    I have two uncles that both own Ten Point crossbows. The crank system is pretty slick and they are super accurate. They are pricey but are second to none. They have killed many deer with them up to the 40 yard range. I think they where around 1000 bucks fully equiped

13. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    I have an Excalibur. I only got to hunt with it once, but it sure shoot's at target's well.