Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by lopester59, Aug 29, 2017.

1. lopester59

lopester59 Member

Dec 17, 2010
    This past Sunday I shot in a 3dshoot. A group in front of us were shooting crossbows. We couldn't believe how noisy they where. I don't know if all crossbows are that noisy but I can't imagine taking a 30 yard shoot with one they were shooting.
  2. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

were you inside? That'd make it worse. But I agree they are loud and all the Limbsavers in the world are not going to make that much difference from what I can tell... that being said if your zinging that bolt at #330++ FPS..will the deer have anytime to react?

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The speed of sound is 1125 fps, so they'll hear it before it arrives.
  4. fullfan

fullfan Active Member

Feb 23, 2016
    absolutely not. 30 yds is cake
    20' likes this.
  5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

They say they are getting better. I have not been around any that weren't loud. If you're not compensating with your point of aim at 30 you're gonna get some wiffs.
    Sully likes this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Isn't that how fast they are supposed to shoot?

Just asking...I have no idea since I've never shot a crossbow.
    Sully likes this.
  7. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Most shoot almost Good as a Compound but you only have one shot because of the noise.

:D The Big Grin just blows little BB's
  8. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Sound travels fast, but it also takes a split second for the deer to register, then 3/10 of a second to drop a body depth (according to the Wenzel bros). I haven't seen a deer even react before being hit with my 374 fps cb. Then again, I only have 2 cb kills.
    Most on the cb forums say the bolt hits them before they have time to react... and to not worry about the noise. Of course, this all would be relative to the arrow speed.
    421sd and Bootheel Boy like this.
  9. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    I suspect a deer is less likely to react at a noise 30 yds away, compared to a noise 10 yards away.
    Therefore, noise becomes less of a factor as the distance increases. That's my thoughts anyway..So, I'd say it's relative to both arrow speed, and distance...
    Hawk likes this.
  10. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    Their not near as loud as the old Oneidas bows, you could hear them thru the woods at 200 yards they killed a lot of deer . I wouldn't fret it to much :D
    sbbow and badlander like this.
  11. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    What you see is one of the things that x bows have not dealt with . IT IS POSSIBLE TO WIFF ON A RELAXED DEER AT 20 YARDS BECAUSE OF THE NOISE. Along with the noise that is partly caused by the friction of riding a rail is the inefficient loss of power caused by the friction. In stead of designing the short coming out and going with a traditional draw poundage they up the poundage to the detriment of safety and noise. WHEN THE COMPOUND BOW APPEARED IT WAS A BETTER TOOL TO DO THE JOB. When the inline mussel loader appeared it was a better tool to do the job.When the x bow cram down appeared it was to make money not a better tool.
    Watch all the advertising and the shinny bullet points . Fork over your harded earned dollars each year.Maybe in 10 or 20 years you will finally get a better tool to do the job. I would think that would be what one would want.
    20' likes this.
  12. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009

Theres been quite a bit if research done on deer senses and basically a deer uses both sight and hearing to sense danger and yoy need to trigger both to get an immediate response. Most of the time if a deer hears something foreign it stops and looks around. If it sees movement as well it bolts. Or vice versa. Sounds and movement farther away is less likely to startle them than sound or movement closer. Which is why 60 -100 yard bow and crossbow shots dont illicit the same dropping response as 30 yard shots.
  13. vixenmaster

vixenmaster Active Member

Sep 24, 2008
    All of my Tick Toters have been deaf, they don't care that i kill them wid a very loud crossbow :)
    STTH, jsr, manitou1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Aim at the lower 1/3 and you shouldn't have an issues...
    20' likes this.
  15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Good advice. They often react.
  16. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    only noise I ever hear is the air escaping the lungs of the deer when by bolt hits
    manitou1 likes this.
  17. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Don't shut your truck off before you shoot.:crapper::goodnight:
    Dafish, fishshooter and Sully like this.
  18. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Last year was my first year hunting with one and the noise and hard to shoot free handed are the 2 things I had a hard time getting used to. On the 3D shoot did they let the crossbows get a rest?
  19. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    The fact of the matter is that deer react first and ask questions later when a foreign sound occur. DROP A ARROW A METALLIC SOUND THEY ARE GONE.
    PLEASE NOT THE EXPERT CARD AGAIN. This will be my 54th year deer hunting. the year before last i put a x bow thru the real tests because of a rotator cuff problem. MORE DEER JUMPED THE STRING AND SURVIVED THEN WERE KILLED.Sure glad the rest allowed the shoulder to heal. A x bow beats not being able to hunt but it is far from a fine tool at this point in time.
    20' and Sully like this.
  20. jsr

jsr Active Member

Jul 6, 2006
    So you missed a lot? What distances were you shooting?
    Hawk likes this.