Crimson Clover ?????? any experiences with it??????

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by mrb, May 26, 2009.

1. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    I planted some last year with some purple top turnips and other mixes and seem to have a pretty good stand of it this year..... anyway, is it worth saving or should it go under to the plow and provide nutrients for this years crop?????

just askin'.......... :cheers::cheers:

2. rmr

rmr New Member

I have none with that type of clover but I like clover as a plot next to beans, if you have it in a good spot I would leave it
    or you could wait and leave it till the fall plow it under and it will make nice fertilizer for your wheat or turnips if you choose to plant some of those again,

3. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i have a crimson clover/ww plot and the deer are flat tearing it up:cheers:

4. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Crimson is a annual, great reseeding clover...

What is your upcoming plans?

5. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    [rquote=1275902&tid=89307&author=Thayer]Crimson is a annual, great reseeding clover...

What is your upcoming plans?[/rquote]

Don't really have any..... last year was a freak with this.. didn't know it was in the mix we planted but it sure came on strong this year.... kinda surprised me when I pulled the plow into the plot it was planted in...... Had to give it a second thought with all the cover we had there...:wave::wave:

6. BioBuck

BioBuck Active Member

[rquote=1275902&tid=89307&author=Thayer]Crimson is a annual, great reseeding clover...
    [/rquote]

It did really well for me this year as well and it was my first time messing with it. Plow it under since it is an annual and you should have some success with this years seeds geminating and giving you a second crop.

:cheers:

7. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    [rquote=1275909&tid=89307&author=mrb][rquote=1275902&tid=89307&author=Thayer]Crimson is a annual, great reseeding clover...

Don't really have any..... last year was a freak with this.. didn't know it was in the mix we planted but it sure came on strong this year.... kinda surprised me when I pulled the plow into the plot it was planted in...... Had to give it a second thought with all the cover we had there...:wave::wave:[/rquote]

After all this time, you post something like that here and don't have a plan....jeeeeeezzzz!

Do you want a summer crop or a weed fighting area for this coming fall's plot?

Where's Henry? :stirpot:

8. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    [rquote=1276007&tid=89307&author=Thayer][rquote=1275909&tid=89307&author=mrb][rquote=1275902&tid=89307&author=Thayer]Crimson is a annual, great reseeding clover...

Don't really have any..... last year was a freak with this.. didn't know it was in the mix we planted but it sure came on strong this year.... kinda surprised me when I pulled the plow into the plot it was planted in...... Had to give it a second thought with all the cover we had there...:wave::wave:[/rquote]

After all this time, you post something like that here and don't have a plan....jeeeeeezzzz!

Do you want a summer crop or a weed fighting area for this coming fall's plot?

Where's Henry? :stirpot:[/rquote]

I HAD a plan when I packed the plow there......... :rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2: But it was just so pretty I could not pull the down lever......... :scared::scared::rof2::rof2::hysterical::hysterical::2thumbsup:

9. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    If you are going to put in a fall plot, disc it under in before you plant. I'd say you have until late August, early September to decide. Sure is a pretty clover and they put it in all the mixes for a reason.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    heck, i mowed mine in the hopes it comes in even thicker

11. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    [rquote=1276024&tid=89307&author=Jeremy]heck, i mowed mine in the hopes it comes in even thicker[/rquote]

We can't. too many overhead camera on CRP ground......... :soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::rof2::rof2:

12. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    oops, wrong forum :shrug:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdhonK8NMm8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdhonK8NMm8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    :stickfight:
    :stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight:

14. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=1276034&tid=89307&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck]oops, wrong forum :shrug:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdhonK8NMm8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdhonK8NMm8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/rquote]

:claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands:Kinda what I was thinking:claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands:

15. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    :stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight: to you too HB.......... :rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::innocent: This is serious stuff now........... MrB wants to know........ :rof2::rof2::rof2::scared::scared::superman::bs:

16. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    [rquote=1276049&tid=89307&author=mrb]:stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight::stickfight: to you too HB.......... :rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::innocent:[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

17. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    [rquote=1276057&tid=89307&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck]:woot:[/rquote]

Me thinks I need to change your secret word my friend.........:dancin::dancin::rof2:

18. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    MrB doesn't have a plan...

How serious can he be????:D

19. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Nice remake of the original Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells.:cheers: