crazy thing happened last night

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by jbridgham, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jbridgham

jbridgham New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Last night I was posted up on a oak ridge. I was grunting with the Vector and doing some estrus bleats. I heard in the distance a loud gobbler. I kept hunting and using the vector. An hour into this and the turkey came under my stand clucking and gobbling loudly. I waited until he was walking away and took a shot. I dont know if I hit him but he flew straight up and then walked away clucking. I think I shot under him I found my arrow and there were no feathers around. It was exciting though!!Anyone had this happen? Do deer and turkeys hang out?

2. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    I've had deer come in while I was calling turkeys in the spring, but I don't think I have ever had a turkey come to a deer call. I tell ya Parker makes a good call. He must have gotten his orders mixed up on yours or someting!!!

3. jwgossage

jwgossage New Member

My theory is that old bucks will shadow a turkey because the turkeys senses are so high my grandpa told me that is what his grandfather told him it makes sense and I have seem deer within 75 yards of turkeys more than once

4. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1882874&tid=131131&author=jwgossage]My theory is that old bucks will shadow a turkey because the turkeys senses are so high my grandpa told me that is what his grandfather told him it makes sense and I have seem deer within 75 yards of turkeys more than once[/rquote]

It may be totally false but that's what I've been told too :D:eek::

5. jbridgham

jbridgham New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    It was so windy last night that I am almost positive I heard a grunt or two down wind of me. On my way out I saw that the scrape I saw on my way in had been messed with. who knows it is hard to use your sense of hearing when it is so windy!! Should be out tonight, going to set up near a bedding area.

6. jbridgham

jbridgham New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    U think there is an old deer in the area and that turkey was looking for that buck? crazy..........

7. TATER

TATER Active Member

On the way into work this morning ( I know its a bummer) in a cut bean field I saw turkeys and deer feeding within 10 feet of each other and neither seemed concerned..

8. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I will say that when the leaves are off the trees and everything is crunchy, I'll occassionly use a turkey call as I'm walking to the stand.