Crawfish trapping

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by buckbuster, Dec 15, 2017.

1. buckbuster

buckbuster Active Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toas, Mo
    Anyone on here crayfish trap??? is it hard to do? Any good tips would be great. My 7 year old son caught several this last fall and wants to try to catch enough for a meal.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This one works great for a young crawfisherman but with adult supervision in the build.

letemgrow likes this.

3. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    I dont hear of anyone trapping crawfish around here like they do in the south. Not sure why, other than maybe spots that are full of crawfish big enough to eat are few and far in between around missouri. But there are spots out there, maybe more than I know of.

truehunter likes this.
  4. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    The wire mesh minnow traps work well or make you own. Painting or coating them flat black helps. On the purchased traps you have to make the hole bigger to catch eating size dads. I baited with fish heads. I made mine out of 1/4'-1/2" square wire material and coated with thinned roofing tar. Made it look like sprayed on bed liner. The don't have to look good.

5. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    We used to catch those HUGE blue crawdads in Table Rock Lake. Made traps similar to the cylindrical minnow traps and baited with parts of sunfish or a partially opened can of dogfood. One year, my buddy and I had approx 35 lbs of tails in the freezer. Some of the best things to ever touch my plate! They were very easy to catch. Used to tie of to docks and toss them in 8-18 ft of water. I won't tell you how big those blue crawdads get in Table Rock as some would call me a liar, but when I say HUGE, they are really big. Until a buddy introduced me to them, I would have never guessed Missouri had crawdads like that... or any place for that matter. I know a guy and his father that go down there on trips just to trap them (they own a boat dealership) and they claim to catch them of astronomical sizes, which again, I won't repeat as it is almost unbelieveable. I don't know if it is the same as it was back in the late 80's/early 90's, but it sure was fun. Those"blues" down there had so much flavor.

90acres and Muleskinner like this.
  6. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I knew a guy that gigged them around Table rock . Said he waded with a lantern and said the got almost as big as lobster. He passed away always wanted to go one time.

7. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Havent had the blue ones but the mississippi lowland reds get pretty good size and are delicious ...boil with corn on cob, lemons ,onions ,,sausage some new potatoes ,,makes a pretty good meal

8. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok I'm thinking 2 inches is most your opening can be on your trap and I believe 150 Limit.

Or

13-Crawfish_jpg-thumb_zpsd0f57370.jpg

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes Mud Bugs.

9. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Inch and a half

10. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Honestly, on the blue ones, 7 inches were common and occasionally, 9 inches plus. Guys that have it to a science claim catching them there the size of small lobsters. I never researched it, but the dad/son I mentioned earlier told me Table Rock was the only place to catch the blue ones. Don't know if that was just in Missouri or nation wide. I don't remember the species name, but the tasted like crab claws... full of flavor. I used to skewer them and grill them... unbelievable goodness!

11. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Ive used the black minnow baskets with hot dogs for bait with pretty good success.

12. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Simple rig we did in high school at Lake Jacomo....tie a string to a raw chicken neck. Lower it off the edge of a dock and wait a few minutes and slowly pull up the bait and the crawdads would be clinging to the bait. We used a piece of nylon hose stretched over a wire hoop attached to a stick to net the pinching little buggers before they dropped off the bait.

MO50 likes this.
  13. Matthew83

Matthew83 Active Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Dent county
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I love catching them, it's one of my favorite things to do in the summer, when it gets hot. I throw on a pair goggles and dive in the river, it's the perfect excuse to cool off

manitou1 likes this.
  14. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Chicken neck and nylon stockings ? Is this a metaphor ? Never mind ,,, I don't want to know . :D

15. buckbuster

buckbuster Active Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toas, Mo
    you guys are making me hungry. I was going to start out trying the Maries river and expand from there. Sould be great activity for my sons and myself!! Note to self: plant sweet corn!!

16. buckbuster

buckbuster Active Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toas, Mo
    Does the species matter or are they all good?
    Brad

17. Matthew83

Matthew83 Active Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Dent county
    I wouldn't think so

18. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    We always put them in a kiddy pool with an inch of water in it and sprinkled cracker crumbs on the water. Leave them overnight and by morning the crawdads had ate the crackers and took a morning dump which cleaned out their poop chute making them taste better....at least that's what we were told.

Matthew83 likes this.