Crappie Spawn Timing on Small Lakes/Ponds

Discussion in 'Pan Fish' started by caf4, Apr 4, 2017.

1. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Anyone in the mid Missouri area with access to a small lake/pond happen to see any signs of crappie spawning? I know it seems early but thinking with the warmer than usual winter, the recent warm weather and the shallower nature of these lakes/ponds that the crappie spawn may be on soon.

2. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Not sure about ponds and small lakes, but they are still staging out in the deeper water near brush on the reservoirs from what I hear. Talked to a buddy earlier that was wacking on them pretty good on brush in 14-20' of water.

3. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Next warm spell they should start in ponds. Lake Ozarks usually centers somewhere around 4/20.

4. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    I always figure 2nd to 3rd week in April for Truman too.

5. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    cut a few last weekend. Full of eggs. No sign of dropping them anytime soon. My guess is we are at least two weeks away.

6. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    MY neighbor spent Sunday on Truman with a buddy of his.
    Said they fished all day and caught one fish. Then they got tired of fighting the wind and went into a small cove on the north side of the main arm and caught 19 1 1/2 pounders off the bank in just as many minutes.

7. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Been slow rolling this year with a bunch of streaks of cold nights. They have been hanging out in deeper water.

Many years, we are catching them in 4 or less feet by now.

Interesting year. Once this flooding rain clears up a little on the ponds, I am sure it will be on.

8. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Just south of St Louis the males are making beds and feeding like crazy.

9. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Many folks confuse crappie spawning with males up shallow looking for nesting spots and starting to build. Crappie will also get shallow in the spring prior to this when the water warms and their food source goes shallow. Actual spawning seems to take place over the same 5+ weeks from the 2nd week of April into May. The spawn is spread out. Peak usually around the 3rd week of April midlake at LOZ. When they hit the banks is based upon the hours of daylight and water temp.

10. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    This is true, a couple of real warm days even in February and you can catch crappie up as shallow as 2' on wind blown banks. Not spawning just eating insect hatch or minnows/shad that are up shallow due to a plankton bloom.

11. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Crappie love to chase shad up on shallow mud flats this time of year too. One of the best trips I ever had on LoZ was way up Indian Creek in early April when they were gorging on massive schools of shad. We just kept the trolling motor on high and would chase the shad around. The last time I was up on LoZ, I found a good school of shad hanging out around a couple docks and the crappie were chasing them around. You just had to keep casting and wait for the shad to move through. As soon as you felt your jig and line bumping shad, you would catch crappie a couple casts in a row and then nothing for 5-10 minutes.