Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody put out there crappie beds yet for 2009? I'm thinking of putting some out. I've heard from the old timers at Loz pine and cedar will be no good in bout 3-4 years cause they will decay. They say use hard wood such as oak, hickory, anything hard. Has anyone heard that? Also what ideas do you have on beds, I've put out the pvc ones but they are $$$$$ This project will be at Loz so I need to follow the rules. Many years ago at my folks when they built there lake we put tires in there and It still works great. I just don't think the rich folk at the lake or amren ue would like that very well

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
cut 55 gallon plastic drums...:2thumbsup: cheap and they work

·
Registered
452 Posts
Other than the ends cut out. You have any other ideas that you do to the barrels? Have a few barrels was thinking what to do with them? Used lots to brush & tree for beds. Anyways like new ideas:cheers:

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Jeremy
cut 55 gallon plastic drums...:2thumbsup: cheap and they work
Jeremy and do what with them when you cut them? I've heard of a 5 gallon bucket with sand and a cedar tree and sink it. :thinking:But what are you supposed to do with the drum, besides bang on it:banana:

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I talked to a guy at a boat show one time he said wooden pallets were good fastened together in a triangle and weighted down with brush around them. I never tried it but I'm sure you can get all the junk pallets you need for free. I'd check the rules before I done it though.

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Grumpy
I talked to a guy at a boat show one time he said wooden pallets were good fastened together in a triangle and weighted down with brush around them. I never tried it but I'm sure you can get all the junk pallets you need for free. I'd check the rules before I done it though.
I know you can take a pallet and make vertical batten on them them and have a good bed. But I haven't heard anyone say anything on hardwood being better than cedar or pine for brush. Thanks Grumpy:cheers:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know they are pricey but the ones made of PVC are less likely to get your hook snagged. I've also been told that they don't show up as well on fish finders. Don't know the truth in that. If you are good friends with a plumber or someone who installs irrigation systems, pipe pieces aren't too hard to come by. Don't buy the expensive porcupine ball kits either. Just put the pieces sticking up out of a 5 gallon bucket, fill with concrete and let it sink. Keep the handle on it and you can always snag it back up if you want to move it.

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by MoHops
I know they are pricey but the ones made of PVC are less likely to get your hook snagged. I've also been told that they don't show up as well on fish finders. Don't know the truth in that. If you are good friends with a plumber or someone who installs irrigation systems, pipe pieces aren't too hard to come by. Don't buy the expensive porcupine ball kits either. Just put the pieces sticking up out of a 5 gallon bucket, fill with concrete and let it sink. Keep the handle on it and you can always snag it back up if you want to move it.
Thank you:2thumbsup:

·
King of Callaway
42,625 Posts
Needing a place to catch Flat Head bait or are ya crossing over to pan fishing :D

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by fishshooter
Needing a place to catch Flat Head bait or are ya crossing over to pan fishing :D
Got plenty of places to catch flathead bait. Just wanting to plant some crappie beds so I can keep up with the mailman and the snowman. I've got my tubs already in the water fish to keep up with you on the flatheads. If the ol denali (wifes truck) keeps on being a gas hog, might have to sink it to, for more flathead nesting, heck it has heated seats and all:banana:

·
King of Callaway
42,625 Posts
:rof2::rof2: I ain't going after the Flats this year too much, too much time investment at the moment, however I am going after the Blues. Gonna catch one worth showing off this year :rock:

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well fish the denali will work on those to I suppose:2thumbsup: Man ought to be running lines now on the river for them blues. We used to this time of year and had the river to ourself's. Only thing you always wanted to run up river in case you brake down, cause there wasn't anybody there to help

·
King of Callaway
42,625 Posts
I love the river this time of year, and ya it can be pretty good fishing, only problem is ya gotta stretch a net to get some bait :boohoo:

No I'm gonna wait till spring when they are feeding up to go on the nest, plus the bait jumps right into the boat :2thumbsup:

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't nothing like fresh cut bait for them blues, floating a trot line in the current:eek::

·
King of Callaway
42,625 Posts
Originally posted by hillbilly
Isn't nothing like fresh cut bait for them blues, floating a trot line in the current:eek::
and seeing a tail come up about 6 ft from the main line :woot:

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by fishshooter
Originally posted by hillbilly
and seeing a tail come up about 6 ft from the main line :woot:
:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

:dancin::dancin::dancin::dancin::dancin::dancin::dancin::dancin:

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

·
Registered
14,241 Posts
Go to crappie .com and visit the crappie bed forum,

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by DADAKOTA
Go to crappie .com and visit the crappie bed forum,
I was planning on doing that dadakota:cheers:

·
17,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone else got any ideas on the perfect crappie bed

·
2,842 Posts
Originally posted by MoHops
Yes it is true, they will not show up on a graph. We have some at Truman

1 - 20 of 20 Posts