Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
It is not uncommon for deer on ice to slip and fall breaking their pelvis. Once that happens they are helpless. I took a call exactly like this once. I was a DNR Naturalist fresh out of college assigned to a large state park. Someone called the park office to report a doe was on the ice of a good size creek in the park with a broken pelvis and three domestic dogs were attacking it. It was a pretty gruesome scene and visible from a nearby busy roadway. When I got out of my vehicle the dogs ran off. I put the doe down. Unfortunately the ice was too thin for me to remove the deer and the body lay out there on the ice for a week or so until the temperature warmed enough to melt the ice.

The next day I was in my office and the secretary out front yelled for me to come quickly. I ran out to see what was going on and a pack of feral dogs was harassing a yearling doe which they had corned in deep snow just outside our office. Unfortunately when I stepped outside to spook the dogs the doe broke out and ran and all the dogs followed. Not sure how she made out. Within a week I discreetly killed five feral dogs in the park with an accurate scoped .22 LR rifle. I killed two more in the next couple weeks. Sometimes you have to balance the tally sheet.

·
Under appreciated
91,832 Posts
Got him on the ice where he couldn’t get traction and the yotes could. Bad choice to run out there, unless he had no other choice.

For every story like this that we see, there are likely who knows how many that actually happen we are never aware of.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Many deer get clipped by a car and manage to run off wounded. The deer then dies some distance from the road and coyotes clean up the carcass at some point. If found it is about impossible to determine actual cause of death so the easy blame is laid on to either hunters or coyotes. Probably Toyota, Ford and Chevy kill more deer than predators and wound more than bow hunting.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,945 Posts
Many deer get clipped by a car and manage to run off wounded. The deer then dies some distance from the road and coyotes clean up the carcass at some point. If found it is about impossible to determine actual cause of death so the easy blame is laid on to either hunters or coyotes. Probably Toyota, Ford and Chevy kill more deer than predators and wound more than bow hunting.
That’s almost a certainty.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drove from Clarence to St. Louis a couple weeks ago, hwy 36 to 61. I counted 84 dead deer on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts