Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I've got a nice sized coyote on my property, but this pile of "dung" I found looks like it could be black bear. Anyone ever heard of coyotes eating that many berries?

PXL_20210621_230207446.MP.jpg

PXL_20210621_230115356.MP.jpg

·
Vendor
65,154 Posts
A large portion of a coyotes diet is berries and other plants.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Coyotes eat everything, literally. And yes, they love fruits and berries, grapes, watermelons, ect.

·
Under appreciated
88,271 Posts
I see persimmon seeds in coyote scat and have actually germinated them. Passing through the gut of mammals naturally scarify seeds.

Reactions: WBF

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,895 Posts
If it’s edible in anyway a coyote will eat it. Cept maybe for eating other dead coyotes. 🤪

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
If it’s edible in anyway a coyote will eat it. Cept maybe for eating other dead coyotes. 🤪
I can't get them to eat dead raccoons. They eat the opossums and leave the raccoons for the buzzards.

·
Quack
5,309 Posts

·
Vendor
65,154 Posts

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,414 Posts
Maybe whatever the coyote ate, ate cherries?

You know, the food chain.

·
Registered
31,472 Posts
I have examined stomach contents and found bellies full of grass hoppers in early trapping season when we have a warm stretch.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like bear **** !
A large portion of a coyotes diet is berries and other plants.
Maybe whatever the coyote ate, ate cherries?

You know, the food chain.
Well, I pulled the SD card from the camera I had pointed at my feeder and saw what left that turd!!! My assumption was correct and I've got a big a$$ black bear on my property. I'd seen some partial tracks recently as well and paired with that crap pile and my feeder knocked over I thought it might be. I'm shocked though honestly. Neighbor about 400 yards up the road has chickens outside and hasn't had any issues yet.

Here's a few of the videos:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I can't get them to eat dead raccoons. They eat the opossums and leave the raccoons for the buzzards.
You are correct. When you put out carcass piles very few things will eat racoons. Bald eagles, however, actually like to eat them. Anytime I trap, I put the carcasses out for them and they live on *****. Incidentally the fact that coyotes never touched the **** carcasses was one of the reasons I suspected studies of coyote impact on **** populations would show coyotes weren't preying on *****. The funny thing is, even after studies have shown coyotes have no impact on racoon numbers, people like Hawk, and even some biologists, still want to keep regurgitating that same old nonsense about coyotes helping to control racoons. By the way, since we're talking about carcasses, here's the trapping tip of the day. Bobcats love beavers.

·
Vendor
65,154 Posts
You are correct. When you put out carcass piles very few things will eat racoons. Bald eagles, however, actually like to eat them. Anytime I trap, I put the carcasses out for them and they live on *. Incidentally the fact that coyotes never touched the ** carcasses was one of the reasons I suspected studies of coyote impact on ** populations would show coyotes weren't preying on *. The funny thing is, even after studies have shown coyotes have no impact on racoon numbers, people like Hawk, and even some biologists, still want to keep regurgitating that same old nonsense about coyotes helping to control racoons. By the way, since we're talking about carcasses, here's the trapping tip of the day. Bobcats love beavers.
Coyotes kill plenty of raccoons. This is accepted science.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,238 Posts
Disease and coyotes have failed at managing raccoon numbers. We are sitting around waiting on a rabies outbreak yo control them I guess.

·
13,647 Posts
I was always told to use peppermint to ward off deer as they do not like the smell and will not eat it. Well were I hunt there is wild pepperemint growinng and deer poop is full of it...

·
Vendor
65,154 Posts
Disease and coyotes have failed at managing raccoon numbers. We are sitting around waiting on a rabies outbreak yo control them I guess.
Thats an uneducated, emotional opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts