Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen more coyotes in the last month than the last ten years. The wife and boys went with me yesterday for a short shed hunt. We walked through 60 acres of heavy brush and timber that is next to 100+ more acres and only saw a couple sets of deer tracks in the snow.
What we did see was what looked like 100's of coyote tracks. Not just here or there but the entire timber is "ravaged" by coyote tracks. This is the first time I have seen "trails" that are beat down in the snow that consist of literally 100's of coyote tracks that have beaten the snow down like cattle made the trail!
Thinking MO needs to legalize night vision for coyotes from about March 4th - June 1st while idiots wouldnt have bucks to poach. (why March 4th? crow season ends March 3rd...always wondered why the goofy date?:D)

· Keeper Of The Prions
3,599 Posts
Ive seen a lot recently too out feeding cows and such. If I try to go call one, they become non existent. I've got to be the worst coyote hunter in history. I do much better just shooting them as I see them while on the farm working.

5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive seen a lot recently too out feeding cows and such. If I try to go call one, they become non existent. I've got to be the worst coyote hunter in history. I do much better just shooting them as I see them while on the farm working.
I almost got a shot on one that we ran off of a newborn calf yesterday. Had we not gotten there when we did I would have lost that calf. First calf heifer had left it to go eat and I doubt she would have protected it like an older cow.
Dang gun jammed and by the time I got it unjammed he made it into the timber. I still sent 4 shots here and there into the timber to try to encourage him on his way.
Probabaly been 15 years sionce I actually shot one in my calving pen though.

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
Blame it on the hound guys,its been a rough year for them,to much snow and the dreaded ice around here,tearing up the dogs feet to much to kill many.i know I hear them around the house about everytime I'm out at night.

Reactions: Barnold1

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
I think there are way more coyotes that most people realize on any given year. The snow just has a way of providing evidence.
When we have snow for extended periods of time, tracks can pile up. Each set of tracks isnt necessarily a different yote either.
Always fun to see tracks in the snow.

Reactions: pinwheel

· Registered
4,740 Posts
I almost got a shot on one that we ran off of a newborn calf yesterday. Had we not gotten there when we did I would have lost that calf. First calf heifer had left it to go eat and I doubt she would have protected it like an older cow.
Dang gun jammed and by the time I got it unjammed he made it into the timber. I still sent 4 shots here and there into the timber to try to encourage him on his way.
Probabaly been 15 years sionce I actually shot one in my calving pen though.
Good thinking... :(

5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think there are way more coyotes that most people realize on any given year. The snow just has a way of providing evidence.
When we have snow for extended periods of time, tracks can pile up. Each set of tracks isnt necessarily a different yote either.
Always fun to see tracks in the snow.
Yes, but we used to find quite a few sheds in our timber. Food sources are even better than they used to be. I have been wondering why why why have they stopped bedding and shedding where they used to?

As I sat here pondering/typing this I may have just discovered the why. I originally chalked it up to the drought of 2012/EHD no bucks left to shed. I now wonder if it is a "bigger picture" problem.... still related to 2012. High corn prices and bulldozers. Many smaller patches/fence rows were cleared due to 2012 crop insurance prices. So now our timber may have become more of a runway for coyotes getting hungry in the winter and spring.(lot less rabbit cover in the surrounding areas....less CRP) A lot more coyotes coming through looking for rabbits(which have been very rare compared to years past) may be pushing the deer out.

5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good thinking... :(
Well it is my timber, and I actually picked a target/backstop not just random firing, and when it is your $1000 calf(all profit because every calf you lose is your wages) you probably would have done the same thing.

If there were any shed poachers in there maybe it scared them off to.:D JUST KIDDING!!!

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Coyotes I believe are killing as many as Hunters kill in a Season. Not unheard of and is very hard on the herd.

Same with Egg Suckers killing bulk of the Turkeys.

We like it or not we are in competition with others that have no season or limit.

oneshot

:D The Big Grins cousins.

Reactions: Mailman

· Gentry County, NE KS
1,016 Posts
Three years ago just across the river in KS we had cameras out from December to mid March. 10,000 pictures, only one coyote pic. Now all kinds of coyote pics. Seen slot while hunting. I think population is on a peak.

· Registered
70,872 Posts
I don't know if their numbers are more now or is it that my neighbor bull dozed a new fence line giving them a "highway" to travel to and from where ever they are heading. I had two cameras set out and got pics almost nightly of the same 3 coyotes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.