Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Coyote or fox?

3K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Gamegetter 
#1 ·
I've been watching trail cam photos of these what I thought were foxes for a while and then recently I got this set of pictures where they're chasing a deer and I noticed the size of them and I'm wondering if maybe they're actually coyotes nearly all of the pictures that I have of them are at night I only have one picture that is during the day and it is very blurry because the camera was wet what do y'all think?
Atmosphere Flash photography Organism Carnivore Tree
Automotive lighting Flash photography Plant Motorcycle Natural landscape
Flash photography Carnivore Midnight Automotive lighting Plant
Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Sunlight Atmospheric phenomenon

See less See more
#2 ·
Picture #2 hard to tell but the black leg leads me to believe it's a fox. But most probably a coyote with a dirty leg judging by the size and tail (pointed toward camera)
Picture #3- definitely coyotes. I was always told coyotes don't play well with foxes and will kill and eat them when given the opportunity.

#10 ·
Pic 2 could be fox, but normally if I am getting pics of yotes, I am not getting pics of foxes....
My house must sit in the zone of canine diversity. :group:

Rarely is it more than a few days before I can say I saw a Labrador, a fox, and a coyote walk past the window all from the comfort of my recliner.

I know, I know - the experts say that's impossible!

The experts don't sit in my recliner! :D

#7 ·
coywolf

#17 ·
I can't believe that no one else agrees with me. I'm confident enough in my answer I'd bet on it. I'll send pics to Grant Woods and Jason Sumners. If they both agree, we have our answer. If not, we'll call it a push. Sound good? ;)

#20 ·
The only thing I have ruled out for sure is aardvark. Thats only because they give me the creeps and I didnt have creeps when I looked at the pictures.

#25 ·
You have to make a few hundred more posts saying your right before you get the full experience.

#26 ·
I sent the 4 cam pics to MDC biologist Jason Sumners. His reply is below. I sent the pics in the order of time on the camera. His reply is:

"The first two are of coyotes and the third and fourth are most likely a young deer.

Hope you are doing well.
Jason

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 26, 2019, at 7:41 PM, JOE AND SHEILA GASSNER <jgsfishin@embarqmail.com> wrote:

Jason,

Can you please help me with some game cam identification. I think I know what a couple of the pics are, but included all from that day in case they helped with the id of the couple I'm unsure of. If you have a guess, but only say 50% or xx% certain please let me know that too, for example 5.53.41 50% sure its a zebra, 22.08.24 90% sure its a camel...

Call if you want to discuss.

Thanks,

jgsfishin@embarqmail.com
Joe Gassner

#31 ·
I tried finding his email address and couldn't find it. Didn't exactly find Jason's either, but kind of remembered the formula they used when I worked at MDC many years ago.
If you click on the pic, it may slightly enlarge it. The deer is facing towards the camera and is smelling, drinking or eating with its head down. You can see the neck between the two sets of leaves. A coyotes neck isn't that long or skinny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.