Coyote hunting help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Predators' started by bowhunter8, Jan 5, 2018.

1. bowhunter8

bowhunter8 Senior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    county, MO
    So I want to go out and try Coyote hunting. I was gifted an Icotec GC320 with decoy for the time being. I have some places set up to go which will give me good spots for the wind. I am going out tomorrow, but my buddy who wants to go too can only go in the afternoon. Is there any luck to be had with coyotes in the afternoon/evenings? I will go next week too, should one concentrate on the mornings for yotes? On using the e-caller, how long do you let it run before stopping it. Say if I use the cottontail in distress... 30 seconds, 1 min, 5 minutes? how long until firing it up again?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
  2. 76_michael

76_michael Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    Anytime is a good time to call . Best morning and late afternoon but all day long in this cold . Those predators are hungry always looking for a free meal . Best bet . If ur in a heavy called area stay away from boring rabbit . They have heard thast alot if heavy called area try jack distress yote pup mid day my favorite is wood pecker or bird distress . Have lots of diffent sounds change it up . Ki yi another great sound .

3. Gmhoward

Gmhoward New Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Watch down wind of your call! Coyotes want to confirm with their nose what they're hearing and will usually try to circle down wind of your caller. Everyone has an opinion on whether to let the caller run continuously or pause from time to time...probably no right answer. Some would say if you have no luck in twenty minutes, it's time to move on...I would encourage you to stay on stand 45 minutes to an hour before moving stands.
  4. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member