Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beef-producer-father-in-law mentioned he needs to do some coyote hunting this winter (he lost seven calves last year), and wants to get a call/decoy setup. I'm thinking "Perfect christmas gift!".

But I don't know much about what to buy and what works best.:confused: Could you all recommend SPECIFIC brands of calls and/or decoys? I'm looking to spend up to $50 or $60, if possible. I appreciate any advice I can get. :bowing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,118 Posts
I would spend the money on a Good electronic call, and then use a rabbit fur on a spring/board with a string tied to it. The call will be the expensive part. I dont have any recommendations on what brand though - others I am sure will. Good Luck!
 

·
PURE KILLER
Joined
·
38,018 Posts
i tried one of these last year and had pretty good results with it, but i did buy the amplifier to go with it.pretty good for the money.but then a just a plain ole mouth blown call works good to. seems like you can give it more real life to it and control the volume.but if your gonna be calling alot the electronic ones wins hands down:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Electronic-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ae441cf6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1488695&tid=103987&author=mathewsshooter89]spend the extra money and get you a fox pro. I saw them on sale at cabelas or midway. U will not be dissapointed. [/rquote]

I looked up Fox Pro, and they produce a variety of mouth calls, electronic calls, etc. What do you recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
[rquote=1488714&tid=103987&author=bert*man][rquote=1488695&tid=103987&author=mathewsshooter89]spend the extra money and get you a fox pro. I saw them on sale at cabelas or midway. U will not be dissapointed. [/rquote]

I looked up Fox Pro, and they produce a variety of mouth calls, electronic calls, etc. What do you recommend?[/rquote]

Go with the electronic if you want to spend extra money. The one i have you \can set it out up to like 75 yards away and control the volume and the sound with the handheld controller. Plus you can download just about any sound you could ever want onto it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,011 Posts
personally, i've got the johnny stewart digital caller. think it was around a hundy bucks. killed a lot of yotes with it and should have killed triple what i actually have. can't sit still long:D fox pros are nice but can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,785 Posts
204 or 22-250 is what i reccomend this is the best call ive seen o-600 yds dead coyote

[file]81350[/file] coyote m-70 22-250 sierra blitz kings=dead dog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
stay away from cheap calls the only cheap call i would recommend is one with a remote that you can comtrol the volume with. you really ought to have you father in law by a more expensive call rather then go the cheap route......tell him the the cost/benefit analysis of having a good call over a crappy call could save his cattle. one calf would be worth that of a expenisve call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
I never have any luck with electronic calls (I have Cass Creek ones). I do like Primos mouth calls. The people at the store can help you pick them out. Also some deer carcass or goat/sheep helps too. The fresher the better. Just make sure not to leave too much scent around it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Go to predatormasters.com tons of info. I'm going in the morning. Unless he knows what he's doing, he may just educate them dogs, and then they'll be tougher to kill. I'll give him a hand!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,394 Posts
Worry less about the actual sound made and more about how to get an effective set-up situation to get a coyote in the crosshair. The set-up is at least 70% of a successful stand, with remaining motionless, the actual call/sound, and marksmanship the remaining 30% or so of the total. It's all about the wind my friend, it's all blowing in the wind... :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top