Coyote gun

Discussion in 'Predators' started by JohnyBoy, Dec 20, 2017.

1. JohnyBoy

JohnyBoy Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Ive got a .308 I use for deer. It's sighted in for 150 grain. What kind of round would be a good 150 grain for coyote? By good i mean not blow a baseball size hole in it.
  2. SwiftKill

SwiftKill Active Member

Feb 24, 2014

3. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Barnes solid copper maybe. Coyotes don't have a lot of mass, so bullet expansion won't be as violent as in bigger animals... but steer clear of some fast expansion varmint rounds, Remington Core-Loks and Nosler ballistic tips if you want to save the hide. Those can leave nasty exit wounds.
  4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Are you wanting the fur or have them mounted? .308 is probably not the best round if that is the case. You might want to think about using a shotgun and buck shot. I would stay away from Ballistic tips if you use the 308, probably go with something like a corelokt Remmy if you do use that rifle.

I don't give a crap about the hide or how much damage I do to a yote.... :D pair-o-yotes.jpg
    h_callahan and sharps4590 like this.
  5. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Oh Fallon
    Sierra Gamekings in 30cal-150grn knock about a 1/2 inch hole in a deer at 40 yards, exit hole is little bigger though :D. I have had a 2" exits and a couple of no exits (far shoulder then scrambled). I'm guessing a dog would have slightly different results, but maybe you can gauge off of this.
  6. JohnyBoy

JohnyBoy Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Reckon a big exit shouldnt matter for a mount. Just put that side to the wall
  7. Muzzy-83

Muzzy-83 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Adair Co
    Ah yes, the 'ol coyote caliber debate. Just use a rimfire round and shoot them in the head.....
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    He did say "gun". In strictest terms a "gun" is a shotgun, not a rifle....:D

Unless hunting for fur, nothing is too big for a yodel dog.
  9. CamoNinja

CamoNinja Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Military surplus FMJ.