Covers over trap pan

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by Keef, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    I've read about guys putting shingles on pans or glue on the pan and sprinkling dirt on the glue. They then pretty much leave the jaws exposed. Has anyone tried this?

Wonder if this would help when on rainy days? Dirt and peat moss wouldn't be on top of the pan and shouldn't have freeze ups.

Also, saw one guy put wax paper under the trap so it wouldn't freeze to the ground.

All of this is new to me. I know some of you guys are long time trappers and know a lot more than me, so I thought I'd ask.
  2. remington2225

remington2225 Active Member

Aug 16, 2014
    I have caught 3 bobcats this year on exposed mb550’s in walk thru sets. I dig a hole just enough for my trap to set in it level with ground. Then I just take grass and cover jaws and leave pan exposed. I think the cats think it’s a nice safe hard spot to place their paw. I block heavy and place the stepping stick on outside edge of jaws. This keeps the trap from freezing and working no matter the weather.
    Sully likes this.

3. remington2225

remington2225 Active Member

Aug 16, 2014
    [​IMG]this is one from today.
    tcwild likes this.
  4. Jamie557

Jamie557 Active Member

Apr 3, 2012
  5. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Cats don't care but coyotes are a different story. It's been a few years but I use to cut pan covers out of fiberglass screen that you would use for screen on windows and doors.

A good buddy of mine never used pan covers he just took some grass or fiberglass insulation and wadded it up (loosely) and stuck it under the pan to keep the dirt out.
    Sully likes this.
  6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

I use cotton and put under the pan. They also make a anti-freeze type spray but I have never tried it.
  7. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I don't think it will fly with a coyote. I've covered with grass clippings before in sets made in grassy areas. I use to use window screen exclusively, now I normally use poly fill under the pan and cover with dry dirt. I do put table salt under the jaws and levers to keep them from freezing down. I'm sure they're better ways, but I do ok under most condtions.
  8. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    Propylene glycol in a spray bottle?

Keef check out Hal Sullivans forum? He's the trapline editor for FFG magazine. Be sure to check out the archives too. TONS of amazing info on there.
  9. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Will do thanks for the tip. I've been reading a lot on Trapperman, very informative. Sullivan's looks like another good site.