Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading posts for a while and thought this would be a great place to get some questions answered. This is a GREAT site
I have a small farm in N.E. Mo. I'm wanting to plant some apple trees. I would like to put in several different types. So there are apples falling from august to nov. (Is that possible?) What kind of trees would your= guys recommend? Aslo was wondering what kind of apple tree would have fruit into Nov. or later.

Also I am looking to put in some kind of grass for cover. Is there anything I can broadcast instead of drill? Is there someting that would do well in an area that floods every once in a while?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Switchgrass is a good choice for grass in low lying areas and provides excellent cover for deer. A particular good variety of switchgrass is called Cave in Rock. Depending on the soil fertility, it could get 6-8' tall. It can be broadcast spread, however, if you haven't done any work to removed the existing vegetation, I would hold off. If you have bare dirt to work with, then you can frost seed it.

Many guys use Atrazine with switchgrass to eliminate the seedling competition. I personally don't mind some "weeds" as long as they don't threaten getting a stand.

What is currently growing in the proposed grass area?

As far as apple trees, I'm not a good source of info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now there is mostly fesue growing in most of the areas I would like to plant.

·
10,944 Posts
there are a ton of apples you could choose from, make sure to get the ones suited to your area, plus you can get ones that fruit at the times you want. look at pear also, late season pear will have fruit in november. its important to plant your fruit trees not in bottoms, and not on south or west facing slopes. you will need to protect the trees from bucks rubbing them as well as nipping off buds.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Originally posted by 247
Right now there is mostly fesue growing in most of the areas I would like to plant.
That fescue will have to go before you even think about establishing WSG. Might be a good opportunity to plot (RR products) the area to get rid of it. You will probably want a spring and a fall spraying at a minimum. Then I would broadcast seed the switchgrass and use Atrazine applied before green up in the spring.

You can get by without using atrazine, but if it looks like you are going to have alot of weeds in the area, it is a good insurance policy. If you don't use it, you will need to mow the area a time or two to keep the weeds from growing over the top of the switchgrass seedlings. If you do some good weed control over the summer, you may not need atrazine. Just keep everything from going to seed if possible.

Bottom line, plan on next winter, but do prep work starting this spring.

Switchgrass will require periodic burns for good stand health, so if you are not big on fire, it may not be the best choice.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Originally posted by 247
Contact the local PLC (private lands conservationist) with MDC. There are cost share programs available to do fescue eradication and plant wsg. I started a project last year, spent 2008 killing fescue and will plant the grass this winter. For my project I was paid a set price/acre for spraying fescue and 75% of the wsg seed cost. Because I did the spraying myself I was able to do the spraying for the available monies. There are lotsa cost share programs out there if you just ask.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
By the way :welcome: to MWT. The best web site on the net.:wave:

·
Registered
21,220 Posts
As far as the apple trees, you could probably do a internet search and find some orhards or tree farms nearby that may have some helpful tips for you. Good luck and tell us how things go for you.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have seen where some orchard catalogs even have a page where it showed different apple trees for different months. One of the ones i know of that is supposed to be good late is Arkansas blacks. The thing you also have to look at is what type of tree you need to plant as a pollinator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts