Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by Keef, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Just wondered how you guys anchored your traps (coyote/cats)? I used earth anchors this year so I didn't have to worry about pulling stakes from frozen ground.

I saw on a DVD one guy who mixed salt with dry dirt for the cold, wet weather. Sounds like it would work well, but seems like it would be hard on the traps. Also, seems like it would attract deer. Anyone tried this?
  2. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    I’ve used earth anchors and like them a lot but have been just cross staking with 1/2 inch rebar because of the cost associated with cutting the earth anchors off and having to buy more. In frozen ground you have to drive a pilot hole for an earth anchor so you end up driving 2 holes anyway so I figured just use 2 crossstaked rebar. If fur prices would ever go up again where it would be profitable I will gladly use earth anchors.
    As for dry dirt and salt it is very caustic on your traps. You just have to keep them waxed that means waxing them after a catch or 2. Unless you have a bunch of traps. If you don’t mind spending more money look into making or buying waxed dirt. It is the Cadillac of bedding materials. If your cheap like me just get by with using bone dry peat moss and table salt.

3. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

When I used to trap a lot I used two, 18 inch long, 1\2 in rebar and crossed staked them when using foot holds.

I used to get dry calcium chloride and mix with my dry dirt but it's probably just as hard on traps as mixing salt.
  4. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I used earth anchors, cross staked rebar and cables if a sprout or post was close. Caught 3 coyotes one on each type. I use cables on all my dog proofs and most of my coon traps. I leave the anchors if they are hard to pull or somewhere I know I will set next year.
  5. bverboy

bverboy Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    lincoln county
    iowa style earth anchor for me since I have access to electrical conduit....... pogos would be my second dirt will hold both so a lot depends on your type of soil..... calcium and salt are hard on traps but I have found calcium to not attract deer, coons, etc as bad as salt does... make sure you wax your traps...
  6. huntnfool

huntnfool Active Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Central Mo
    I usually cross stake 1/2 inch rebar. I also made my own waxed dirt. It's a pain to deal with but much better than frozen traps. Last year I bought a few drags. I didn't trap this year to find out if I like them or not.