Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago we use to rig up Cotton Seed Cake on Jugs using a Hanger to purt the Cake on with Hooks on each side.I forgot how to make the Hanger and what size of hook.

Any help???

oneshot
:D The Big Grin is wanting to learn something New.

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
We did that with bank lines.Drilled a hole in the cotton seed ran a line through it with a hook on both sides and a line tied from the bank pole to the line through the cotton seed.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
the cake we used allready had holes in them
and we just hung them on a hook

i havent seen cotton seed cakes since i was 14 oy 15 years old

oneshot where do you find them ??

·
Registered
21,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Bricky

I was going to order it from here
https://secure.memphisnet.net/product/5162/bait

oneshot
:D The Big Grin never Chopped Cotton,but oneshot did and his wife did.:banana:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:cheers: Memphis Net and Twine is the only place I've found to get them, and you know they've got good customer service Bricky. :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
:cheers: Memphis Net and Twine is the only place I've found to get them, and you know they've got good customer service Bricky. :cheers:

Parker
yes sir they do

how much stock you got in that place:rof2:

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
say
that gold line of yours
was it 700lb ??

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:cheers: Own about as much in them as I do in Rogers Sporting Goods, Arm and Hammer, and my various call wood suppliers. :D

Seriously, the thing about them that gets me is that they've got stuff that no other place has, and they've GOT it. There's no wait, its on the way when you order it. :cheers:

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
say
that gold line of yours
was it 700lb ??
:D I'd have to look. Is that the biggest Memphis has? Tell me what size you bought, and then I'll look at their website quick, and I'll have an idea for you.

Parker

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
i sure dont remember what mine was
i'll look at it tomorrow

thats what i was thinking you said last year
i know it sure was alot easyer to bull on with wet hands

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
Well, I'll go see if I can find a new roll of mine, but I don't think I have any new rolls left. The largest Memphis has on their website is 600.

The stuff I've got is another brand though, so I'll have to do some diggin'. Maybe there's somewhere else on the internet to buy it.

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
No luck here at the house Brick. All my spools have had the wrapper removed. I'll see what I can come up with. Don't make any moves yet. How many spools you think you're looking for (remembering there's a lot less length in a spool with a larger line, cause the spools are sold by the pound of line, not the length).

Parker

·
Registered
21,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea Memphis Net and Twine has the same.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin knew this.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
i dont know right now
i was just thinking i would like to get some thicker stuff
for handeling.
mine wasent too bad but yours was easyer to bull on.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,454 Posts
:cheers: I agree with you, that's for sure. Let me go to the local place here and write down some numbers off of what they have (where I get my gold line) and we can go from there.

It appears the biggest you can find on the internet in the form we've been looking at is 600 pound test. That probably means the stuff I'm using is that, or lighter.

I'll have to take a look at what they've got.

Sorry for the :eek:fftopic: oneshot. :peepwall:

Parker

·
Registered
730 Posts
We take a string for a dropline. We tie 2 hooks to it back to back, then tie the two ends of the string together. On the cottonseed, we cut it into squares with a bandsaw, then make a slice in the middle about 2/3 of the way through. Slide the dropline through the cut in the cottonseed with one hook on each side. The cottonseed will swell when it hits the water and therefore, it won't slide off your line.

·
King of Callaway
42,638 Posts
Originally posted by oneshot 1

I was going to order it from here
https://secure.memphisnet.net/product/5162/bait

oneshot
:D The Big Grin never Chopped Cotton,but oneshot did and his wife did.:banana:
That place is the greatest, One shot, quite messing around and get your commerical license and a trammel net, you'll have more fish than you want in a big hurry :D:banana:

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
I remember when I was younger dad would rig cotton seek cakes on the trot line and catch all the carp you could ever want on the Gasconade River. It was a blast.

·
Registered
21,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by DCL
We take a string for a dropline. We tie 2 hooks to it back to back, then tie the two ends of the string together. On the cottonseed, we cut it into squares with a bandsaw, then make a slice in the middle about 2/3 of the way through. Slide the dropline through the cut in the cottonseed with one hook on each side. The cottonseed will swell when it hits the water and therefore, it won't slide off your line.
This sounds good,plus I'm thinking if the Hooks are in the slits it will hold the Hooks out,so they will hook better.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin is ready for some Carp.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts