Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Paid $14.59 for 50# bag of seed wheat in NW Ar. They only planned to get 100 bags. I asked if it was a limited supply and they said they didnt want to have any carryover.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
field wheat seed is cheaper but might get some other plants [so what] I used to pay 5$ / 50 pound from farmers over the years but I moved away from those guys. another 2¢

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I think we all should double think buying a bunch of fertilizer for food plots. Yes lime and fertilizer will make them produce more and taste better but I wouldn’t burden the bank account over a few food plots.

·
just a no body
15,751 Posts
I think we all should double think buying a bunch of fertilizer for food plots. Yes lime and fertilizer will make them produce more and taste better but I wouldn’t burden the bank account over a few food plots.
As a rule we never did "burden" the bank account but I agree and that is the way we will be going from next year forward. I was really focused on my Granddaughter's last year of a youth hunt so I spent some $$ but then again I bought everything in early March. Actually the wife and I have decided other than a couple of very small plots everything is going back to weeds with some trails mowed through them. We are just not that mad at the deer anymore.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I’ve seen a lot of deer browsing on weeds. I have a long shooting lane that I plant in a wheat,rye , Bob oats , winter pea mixture and it goes to a small creek then on the other side is 200 more yards of south hillside glade with shelf rocks and wouldn’t grow the stuff so I just brush hog it. Every year deer come out and browse on something in that glade area and they don’t just nibble around and go on. They stay there and act like they like it. I’ve seen a lot of deer browse ragweed earlier in the year also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts