Corn is up and rolled in the beans today

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Broken Bear, May 11, 2018.

1. Broken Bear

Broken Bear Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    S.E. Missouri
    The corn went in 5/1 and then a gully washer rain the day after planting.. so spotty but it will make as the wetter areas dry up ...ground is warm but a bit moist however as a food plot ....its good to go so rolled in 15 AC RR Beans today ...I pushed it for 4 reasons ..grandkid college graduations in Texas, Florida and Virginia of which the "Boss of Me" says I am driving her to EACH ...and if I wait to plant when the graduations are finished it will really be very late ...but worse ...it will be very humid/hot and I just decided to risk some yield to keep my old carcass off that no cab tractor upload_2018-5-11_18-1-12.jpeg upload_2018-5-11_18-0-0.jpeg

Skduckhunt, CRE10, gurgalunas and 2 others like this.
  2. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Nothing wrong with that Todd! I'm south of ya but I'm thinking you may end up ahead of the game with the summer were already having!

Do you roll or culti-pack the seed after you finish drilling it? Have you ever tried to no till seed in with your Van Brunt?

remington2225 likes this.

3. Broken Bear

Oct 27, 2011
    S.E. Missouri
    I culti-pack brasicas of course but I don't usually follow up the Van Brunt as the drag chains (which are all in place) do a good cover job ...I do boost the pounds per AC though as I use last years beans I have gotten from farmer pals from their planters

The no till is a problem in the pictured bottoms as spring creek overflow seals over the top soil and is forever to dry out if the seal is not roughed up ...but I do a very shallow 4" +/- top disturbance so it will wick SURPLUS moisture to get the seed in ...and I am near a blue line stream and am using tillage in lieu of chemicals as much as possible

My hill plots only total about 5AC and are clay basis also ...I guess I should not assume as I have never tried the Van Brunt as no till but in our clay soil there are times my 8' disc will just leave individual disc tracks and not turned soil ....mainly because with my current equipment I only till my 4 hill plots every 4th year where I will follow brassicas with various clovers ...would live to no till but just not enough AC to invest in no till

Bear

Skduckhunt and WBF like this.
  4. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Very informative Bear! Thank You!

5. River rat86

River rat86 Active Member

Oct 26, 2012
    St.charles mo.
    Looks like u gets lots is doubles and triples when u plant your corn do u ever see that being a problem?

6. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

A Van Brunt grain drill will not no-till. The single disk openers and lack of spring pressure make no till next to impossible with that drill.

7. Broken Bear

Oct 27, 2011
    S.E. Missouri
    Good eye RR but it so happens that was my "set up row" and I started too shallow and doubled back over it ...hence the double ups ...now if you want a real quizer ..think about this ...I am now sure the first run (too shallow "I thought" because of too many "bare seed" showing) is what has popped up first (logical I suppose) ...but will the deeper stuff come up more even hence more deer food ...OR ...does it fail and I would have been better off over all allowing the occasional uncovered seed to occur ...Understand everyone ...I am using an old FORD 209 two row planter ...it really needs a billiard table flat field to perfectly lay every seed and that's not gonna happen with my equipment PLUS ....I have no cost in seed ...as I gladly clean out farmer friends planters ...huge planters ...lots of free seed ...the one thing I can do with that Ford 209 is run back over my mistakes for a few gallons of red dyed diesel and some of my retired time ...you young Bucks with real jobs who have small windows time wise,paying serious $$$ for RR seed corn certainly cannot follow my haphazzard ways of providing "deer Munchies" ...besides I like getting out ...I like to farm ...kinda krazy I suppose ...but I sure do grow some dandy crops ...somehow

Bear

20' likes this.
  8. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    THat place looks amazing, great stuff. I hope you and all of us get some timely rains!!

9. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Sounds like your doing fine, like other said a little rain and you should be fine.

10. Broken Bear

Oct 27, 2011
    S.E. Missouri
    Thanks guys and roger that on all getting timely rain ...the above corn picture was taken 5/10 ...went by it on the way up into the timber to mark trees for a TSI to start in June and noticed the corn is 99.9% up ...so the "cow doing it on a flat rock" rain we had right after planting the corn did not do it in ...I got lucky and pretty well had most of the corn in less than an 1/2 inch ...pretty sure 1 inch seed depth or more would have been catastrophic with the heavy rain

Bear

20' likes this.