Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
421, in the debilitated state of my mind I just saw this. What is the car to your right? That isn't the prancing horse of Modena, is it?

Annnnnndddddd....speaking of cool cars, there is one of these going to be living at my house before spring arrives. Sold my Alfa and a piece of property and I've wanted one of these since I was old enough to know what an MG-TD.....or TF....was. Just don't know which one. At least that's the plan. This one is a contender and it's close.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1950/mg/mg_td/101052876

I've been talking to this owner but the darn thing is NE of Chicago and I don't know if I'm up to the drive. This one is cool.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1953/mg/mg_td/101021819

·
Part-time malcontent
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Those are neat! My parents dated in one of those although I think my dad’s was a later 50’s model. I’ll try to dig up a photo of it. Hate to see your Alfa go away!

And yes, that’s a prancing horse. I think it was a California Spyder. You don’t see a whole lot of Ferraris of any type down here in the Ozarks so I thought it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Evidently the TD and TF shared a year or two of production with the TD ending in late 1953 or early '54. The TF was last produced in 1955 and the MG-A followed, ending its run in 1962 when the MG-B was introduced. The TF had the headlights faired into the front fenders rather than on those racks or rails, or whatever a fella wants to call them, as the TD had the front lights. The TF also had a 1500CC engine as compared to the 1275 of the TD. As with a lot of cars back then the TF was just a stop gap until Morris Garage could get the "A" on the road.

There's a red Ferrari I see here in Rolla once or twice a year but I have no idea which one it is. I always see it at stop lights or going down the road and have never got to speak with the owner. Salem Avenue Baptist Church has a car show every August and it's always something of a surprise what comes out of the woodwork. It's more or less a local show but some guys do come in from as far away as Columbia and West Plains.

The Alfa....as much as I like it I never could get my head wrapped around the Italian way of building cars....even when I worked on them for living back in the early/mid 70's. The little cream colored devil was pretty quick for its age and what it was.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
New skins on the rims. Went with the radial Wide Ovals to replace my aging Firestone Indy 500s. Factory look with a little newer tire technology.

new tires A.jpeg

new tires B.jpeg

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
In person, it shows all that "blood, sweat and tears". It is a nice car.

TD still hasn't been bought. Been busy with some other things....like inheriting a 2017, Mecerdes 300E with all of 9,656 miles on it. Brought it home Monday all titled and licensed to us......:D It seems to be an ok car....:rolleyes:

Reactions: 421sd

·
13,611 Posts
Sharp looking goat ya got there.
was watching junkyard Empire Sunday and they had a truck that looked just like my 74 Dodge Power wagon short bed 440, including same color and the double rollbar. By the time they got done with it, it looked terrible. Jacked it up way to high, put 35inch tires on wheels that stuck way out, with a 1990's paint job. Mine I put 35's on it with out a lift. I thought, hey maybe I can find one, nope most are all rust buckets. Plus have no place to work or parrk it anymore

Reactions: 421sd

·
13,611 Posts
They say starting at $60K, but with normal options will probably be around $80k

·
Part-time malcontent
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Oh
They say starting at $60K, but with normal options will probably be around $80k
Oh, certainly. But I have to say this with the capabilities that this car seems to possess I'm surprised that the starting price was not 80 to 100 K. Just a few days ago some people were predicting it would cost anywhere from 150 to 175K. You'll have to spend over 200 K on another marque to get anything approaching the performance level of this new Corvette. Assuming they'll be adding a ZR1 option in the future, it will be interesting to see what it's capable of. This launch has also kicked Toyota (and BMW) right in the sack with their recent launch of the new Supra.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
69,825 Posts
Not sure it qualifies as a cool car, but did pick this up last October. Sunny day car. Wife and I have always loved doing weekend road trips to see local countryside. Wanted something that was fun to drive, but not too spendy maintenance wise like the SL500 was.... It's a 2009 Audi A4, only had 53k miles in decent shape...
IMG_5388.jpg

221 - 240 of 277 Posts