Cool cars

Discussion in 'Artifacts, Knappings & Other Treasures' started by 421sd, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Get a photo of it if you could. I'd just love to see it. Prewar 1/2 ton trucks are somewhat rare as they were basically rusted out and or used up and thrown away right after the war as the US returned to producing civilian autos/trucks. Dodges, Plymouths, and Studebakers are rarer on top of that as they were not the industry leaders like Ford and Chevy. There's not a huge market for trucks (vs. sexier coupes & sedans) so pouring a ton of money in them better be a labor of love as there's no real profit incentive.

2. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Next time I'm over that way I'll take a few pics of it with my phone........I figured there was a reason it sat all these years and I suppose that's why. I haven't looked closely at it for a long time but, to my knowledge, even all the glass was still in place. I'm actually tossing around the idea of restoring the right old pickup.........looking at mid 60's - early 70's Fords or Chevy's.......Chevy is probably at the top of my list.......

3. Start watching the market to learn about it. I did a whole bunch of watching and classics.autotrader.com, classiccars.com and ebaymotors.com. I had a general idea of what I wanted. As time passed I got it refined and I understood what to look for and expect to pay for it. Rust is your enemy. You'll recognize an opportunity when it appears. Aim, aim, aim, then shoot.

You mention an early 70's Chevy. Ironically, the first auto I had was a '72 Chevy step side with a straight 6 column shifter. That was a great truck but so ugly (robins egg blue) and had no upgrades (air conditioning, carpet, radio) it was a very effective form of birth control. It did have an old school gun rack though! Heck, I can remember having a loaded deer rifle hanging from it in my high school parking lot from hunting in the morning, .. I digress. The cab could easily fit 3 people whereas the '36 Dodge will fit only 2 unless there's some lap sitting.

4. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Yeah......I know "how" to do it........I just haven't completely convinced myself (or my wife) to go ahead with another project yet! LOL! I actually have a '26 Chevrolet pickup that my father and his siblings learned to drive in as well as a '70 340 Duster and a '70 GTX......being an engineer by career, I tend to completely engulf myself in what I do and am very particular and meticulous.......my wife, and earlier in life, my children seem to not like when I take on such undertakings because of that but.......by the same token........I'd really like to have a nice classic pickup to add to my collection and then I believe I'd be happy! (doubtful but sounds good) :D

5. Jfraz3

Jfraz3 Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Grain Valley Mo
    I have been working on a new Hunting/Towing/Zombie rig for the last couple months...being a "multiple IH owner" I couldnt resist this one! Ex-volunteer fire dept brush truck. 74 3/4 ton 4x4 Dana 60 rear, 44 front, 345 v-8 only 46,990 original miles

First time ever spraying paint, it'll be getting a utility/tool box bed I just purchased, and some 33x12.50 tires! Dang it! Can someone PLEASE fix the sideways pic! Lol

Attached Files:

6. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Love it Jfraz!!!

7. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    I've got a couple projects I'm trying to get to. First one is my wife's '52 Chevy stepside. Frame and motor/transmission is all done, just need to start on the body. As you can tell I bought it as a jigsaw puzzle. Second truck is my '75 Chevy K20. She runs and drives, just needs some TLC, rockers and cab corners, etc. I'm putting a flatbed on it as it's my farm truck.

Attached Files:

8. Jfraz3

Jfraz3 Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Grain Valley Mo
    Shes close to finished, some calipers, fix an exhaust leak, etc. closer and closer all the time. Wife says its our Walkin' Dead/Red Dawn/SHTF rig

Attached Files:

9. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Anybody in Springfield for the Street Rod Nationals this weekend? I'm not going to the show at the fairgrounds but tonight I plan to get the car out for some cruising on Kearney Street. Been seeing lots of cars rolling into town the past couple of days.

Attached Files:

10. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
  11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thats awful... hope they catch the scumbags that did it.

12. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I'll be here Saturday.

66-tag-2.jpg

13. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    We've heard about it but never been. We go to What I believe is basically the same show , only in Springfield Ill. I wouldn't mind going to the one in Mo. but it's around 4 1/2 hr drive for us. Either post up some pics or pm them to me if you can.

421sd likes this.
  14. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Funny we were talking about the Springfield Ill. version today. I just took a few photos of our gang's cars and not much of the rest of the event, but here's the FB page which will probably fill up with a lot of photos soon.

https://www.facebook.com/birthplaceofroute66festival/

66-A.jpg 66-B.jpg 66-C.jpg 66-D.jpg 66-E.jpg 66-F.jpg

dw84 and Dafish like this.
  15. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
  16. bverboy

bverboy Active Member

Dec 1, 2015
    lincoln county
    i know a brian horne that lives in sprgfld Illinois that don't miss a car show there and does restoring...

421sd likes this.
  17. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    421sd, what' s the odds a man could find a decent price on a late 60's early 70's Bird or Camaro at one of those shows? I promised by youngest daughter a car from that time period if she got a full ride scholarship. She going to the AF Academy this year so I may as well start looking now.

421sd likes this.
  18. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    What qualifies as a 'decent price,' or what's your budget? And how much work are you willing to do to a car? Daily-driver or hobby? I haven't bought or sold anything for a long time so I'm not up on the market prices right now to be honest. Looking at some of my recent Smoke Signal magazines (club publication of POCI):

Nice solid 57,XXX-mile 69 convertible 350 Firebird for $23,850 asking
    76 Trans Am 400 auto 39500-mile original paint for $21,000 asking
    68 Firebird convertible, 350 2bbl 4-speed rebuilt $22,000 asking
    71 Formula 455 auto (kind of rare) $27,500 asking
    76 Trans Am 400 auto, not perfect but decent for $12,000 asking

There are some others that appear to be modified/hot-rodded so I'm ignoring those. I would recommend a car that is unmolested/close to original as possible and seemingly well-cared-for.

Whatever you buy, try to make certain it's a SOLID car. Camaros and Firebirds being unit-body cars, it is very important there not be any significant rust in the body or you're going to have problems and big-dollar repairs.

I'm going to guess somewhere between $10-15K for good solid, original car of some sort depending on condition, and probably a 327 Camaro or a 350 Firebird hard-top would be the best bargain/reasonable power for a young lady to have.

You might come across a car or two at shows/cruise-ins, but start looking at local cars on Craigslist, get a Hemmings Motor News (subcribe for year even) and start looking at the prices and condition of the cars and you'll start to see a picture of what quality car you can expect at different price ranges. Expect to do some repair and maintenance to get a car road-worthy/safe/reliable. Would she be daily driving this car or would it be a fun toy for you both to work on together? Consider she won't have modern safety measures such as airbags and anti-lock brakes, etc. on a classic car. I would recommend you get her a more modern daily-driver for $3-5K, and pick up a classic to have as a sunny-day car.

Consider joining POCI if you want a Firebird. I'm thinking you might find a better deal on a Firebird than you would a comparable Camaro. Looks like you're in the Jeff-City area, I don't know of a local chapter in that area. There are local chapters in Springfield, St. Louis and KC. If I come across a car available I will try to alert you.

http://www.poci.org/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/448...89706766&notif_t=commerce_interesting_product

https://www.facebook.com/groups/744604862275106/about/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    dw84 likes this.
  19. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Thank you sir. Probably just a sunny day car, ready to roll. I'd be paying for all but oil changes. Thanks for the links and advice, she has to finish to get the car. I'm thinking 30k or less on price.

421sd likes this.
  20. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    You should be able find a very nice car in the 20 to 30 range. You’re a generous dad and she’s a lucky girl!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    90acres likes this.