controlling grasses in food plots

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by cisco, May 1, 2006.

1. cisco

cisco New Member

May 24, 2005
    Arnold, MO
    I have several food plots that I have a really good stand of clover in. However, the fescue is starting to come back. What herbicides are recommended for controlling the grass without harming the clover? Also, what do they cost?

2. rmr

rmr New Member

Fescue is hard to kill , and keep from spreading but what I used about a week ago was a product called SELECT I mixed 16 oz with 15 gallons of water and also used about 2 oz of crop oil so it would stick to the plant i have a 4 wheeler with a boom on the back for spraying it looks like its starting to
    die my spray man says that it will take up to two weeks to completley die out Its slow working . i was lucky and My guy sold me a small amount like that It cost about 30 dollars for the spray but I think it will be worth it. i had about 2acres that I sprayed with it. I will post pics in a week or so if it works. On your round-up question if it gets real tall i would probably brush hog it BUT NOT SPRAY IT THE SAME DAY I BRUSH HOGED IT i would wait a week or so to make sure its growing ggod again and then spray it . the round up has to come in contact with the plant and the same day you mow it there would be nothing for it to stick to. also if you spray it when its tall you have all that residue to deal with.
    I am certainly no expert but tthats what i would do
    MAY BE HENRY OR RAT OR OBRYAN WILL ANSWER THIS POST
    they are up on alot of these issues. GOOD LUCK!:)

3. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    I'm curious to see the answers here too. I've got a real small plot that we use, but have a big problem with fescue.

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think that poast is a grass specific herbicide, that is widely used for grass in legumes. I tried a product called arrest on ours and am at this point not very satisfied. We sprayed 16 days ago and don't show any signs of burn down yet.

rmr
    Keep me posted on how the select works for ya. And by the by, where did you find it??

:cheers::cheers:

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Poast and Arrest are the same product... only difference is that arrest is 13% active ingredient and poast is 18%. Arrest has more of a turf and ornamental label but either should not be applied without crop oil concentrate or methylated seed oil or you may not get control.

Henry.. did you add crop oil or similar to yours?

Also, perennial grasses are much harder to control and may require subsequent re-treatments and patience.

And rmr.. you are right on with the roundup part of the question. I agree with your advice.

6. rmr

rmr New Member

henry i sent a u2u

7. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

May 19, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Where can you get crop oil, or methylated seed oil?

8. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm no expert when it comes to food plots, but I read in a magazine article on food plots that with some grasses and weeds that start growing up past your plants, is to soak a rag with roundup, but not to the point where it is dripping, and hang it off the back of the ATV so that it drags across the grasses and weeds, but not the plants.

I don't if it works or not, but in theory it sounded like a good idea.

9. rmr

rmr New Member

Most coops that do spraying will have it. Crop oil.

I have used (dont laugh) dawn dish soap before
    when spraying round-up and worked just fine.
    it has the same effect it helps it stick to the plant.
    :)

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Called wicking and been done for years venatic.

11. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    We are in the process of getting some alfalfa growing in some plots that exihibit many weeds and grasses. We bought a select type herbicide...I have not seen the label yet... for about 130.00/gallon. It calls for up to 16oz per application..whatever your sprayer will lay down on an acre. I will try to let you all know how it turns out. Also, we are going to develop a redneck wicking system for the taller weeds that don't get killed. Pics will follow! In a couple weeks.:)

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Go get'em Jeff!

13. cisco

cisco New Member

May 24, 2005
    Arnold, MO
    I like the idea of the Redneck wicking system. Anyone know where to get the plans to build one?

14. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    Never built one but I would try something like mounting a 8 foot PVC pipe and sliding a bunch of cheap paint rollers on it. Add chemical to them by hand.

This is what I do: tolerate some grasses in the clover for a few years until it gets objectionable. The deer really don't need that magazine-photo-picture-perfect clover field. Then kill it all and plant milo, corn, wheat or something and perhaps put it back into clover the next year.

15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

No aditives is what I was told by the coop. They said it was ready out of the bottle to add water and spray. The grass we are trying to kill is some kind of early season annual, that comes on early in the spring and dies out in early june. We call it cheat, but it might not be.

:cheers::cheers:

(send me a u2u with the info on rr alfalfas):cheers:

16. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I've seen a wick with lenths of rope in pvc.

17. MUHunter

MUHunter New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    hey rat.........what's your opinion on a low rate of roundup, maybe a pint, into established clover. I know when we have wanted to kill clover you better put a stout mix of roundup in the tank......just curious.

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Never tried it in clover... worth a try but it'll always be a gamble. Agree that clover is tough to get with roundup.

Henry.. for some reason I thought you were going to be at the campout so I sent some info up there and Hayzer expressed some interest also...

U2U me with an address and I'll just mail er to you!

19. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Here is a couple of pics I took yesterday.
    2 pts of poast plus, 2pts of buctril and 1pt of buckaneer (roundup want to be), 1 qt of crop oil.
    Hit the clover pretty hard but its coming back.
    I sprayed 2.5 weeks ago.

20. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Here are the pics;
    Top of the pic is wheat clover, I didnt spray