Conservation Area Bucks Only?

Discussion in '(MDC)Deer Hunting Regulations' started by PublicLandHunter, Dec 3, 2017.

1. PublicLandHunter

PublicLandHunter New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Brentwood
    I was walking out after an unsuccessful firearms antlerless hunt yesterday evening in Long Ridge Conservation Area. I walked near a bow hunter, who was not wearing orange during a firearms season, otherwise I would have avoided him. He yelled out that I was hunting illegally. We had a brief argument before I just said okay and walked away. He got down out of his stand and followed me to the parking lot to argue some more and call a relative who said he was a conservation agent, I think named Bill Baez or Diaz. I just saw the name for a second.

His argument was that I can't hunt antlerless in an area with a posted sign stating Antlerless Permits Not Allowed. He bragged about having a brother in law enforcement and implied bad things for me if I didn't listen to him.

Mine was that page 40 of the Fall Deer and Turkey Book in the conservation area regulations it states, "On areas where antlerless permits are not alowed, you may take antlerless deer with an any-deer permit."

The supposed conservation agent said that Long Ridge Conservation Area is and has always been a bucks only area. You are not allowed to shoot a doe there at any time.

Even though I've never read that, I was dealing with a hunter with a knocked arrow and an open case of beer in his truck bed, and supposedly an agent; so I gave in and ended it peacefully and got the hell out of there.

Can anyone point me to this regulation which states Long Ridge Conservation Area is an antlered only area?

2. Maconplc

Maconplc Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Long Ridge Conservation area allows antlerless deer to be harvested on an any deer permit. You were in the right and the archery hunter should have been wearing orange. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad encounter like that. If something like that ever happens again you should contact the local conservation agent (number on last page of the deer and turkey booklet).