Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have done an awesome job in not shooting your button bucks.

I quickly glanced over the state and most county's have taken about half as much buttons as antlered bucks.

Cudos Dent county hunters!!!

Keep it up!!

[file]82265[/file]

·
Lunch break commander
8,419 Posts
:claphands:

nothing like the straps out of a yearling.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
it would be sweet if all of the 1332 antlered deer were 1.5yr old 8 pointers:D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I have a hate parade...surprising...coming from the right side of things.

Modeer...
I had lots of fawns on my place, seen a few on camera and by sight.

Don't have hard numbers, but I am nearing a 1:1 ratio of fawn survival.

Thought this fawn might make it...but I don't think it did.

[file]82286[/file]

·
Lunch break commander
8,419 Posts
No hate from here. just funnen

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They is tasty pastor, no complaints there. :eek::

I took a button buck in 2005 that tasted really good. I was disappointed in myself.

125yds with a rifle. I had looked at three button bucks chewing on some turnips that Dad and I had put in. I watched them saunter down the hill to the next piece of small timber. I counted 1, 2, 3, and then there was another one behind those stooges. I let the bullet fly and when I came up to him....I was a bit upset at me. That really shouldn't be the case with each hunter. I was upset that I could have prevented this harvest if I would not gotten soooo excited about dropping a deer. But then again, what are we hunting for?

Harvesting buttons will happen and I will probably chide my friends for it. Depends on the persons psyche. Fragile egos get a pass.

Iron county, for instance, has a high rate of button buck harvesting. Am I gonna chide Pipe for taking a button.....you better believe I will, but it is in jest due to the herd in Iron county.

Does anybody see else see how our herd adjusts to their own dynamics?

Taking a button buck happens and it gives us a great opportunity to teach, learn, and see ourselves. Plus a bunch of juicy meat.

Thank you sir!!

·
Lunch break commander
8,419 Posts
I shot a yearling doe with the rile this year and I though it was much bigger. I couldnt see any other deer to compare her to and it was a 125yard shot. After I shot two big does that I didnt know were there came running at me and stopped about 30 yards away. I knew what I had done at that point. I will admit that I wished I had waited once I relized what happend. but after examining her I found that she had a broken leg that had healed back very crooked and then I was glad that I took her. she probably had a hard time keeping up.

I dont go out seeking to shoot yearling deer but when It happens I am happy to put my tag on it.

Lots more meat on the big doe though.

if people are set on passing yearling bucks then shouldnt they pass on yearling does as well. I would think that they are not contributing to the breeding yet and you wouldnt be managing the herd that way. ???

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It all depends on your area....don't take your does if you need more deer.

How do we determine if we need more deer?

Plant a 1 acre plot of clover and wheat. If you have to mow it in October or during the hunting season, you need to pass on your does.

If you don't have to mow it and it always is eaten down to the ground...then I think some management concerns might need to be looked at.

I don't like any young deer to be taken. I like to harvest mature, 3.5 or older animals for my interests and the herds interest. I hope that our youth is receptive to watching our deer versus trying to notch their belts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
QDM to me is like the war on drugs, seems to be a good thing, but will never be successful!

·
Registered
20 Posts
[rquote=1496337&tid=104444&author=Scrub Buck Hunter]QDM to me is like the war on drugs, seems to be a good thing, but will never be successful! [/rquote]

The War on Drugs is in attempt to achieve a better quality country by managing the drug problem.

The same goes for deer. In order to achieve quality herds one must manage to some extent to WEED out the bad seeds.

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
[rquote=1496294&tid=104444&author=Thayer]Wow, I have a hate parade...surprising...coming from the right side of things.

Modeer...
I had lots of fawns on my place, seen a few on camera and by sight.

Don't have hard numbers, but I am nearing a 1:1 ratio of fawn survival.

Thought this fawn might make it...but I don't think it did.

[/rquote]

I saw quite a few on my place this year also, just wondering if something could have had a local effect in that area. :shrug:

·
27,514 Posts
I've never regreted shooting any of the deer I have shot. I've shot a couple bb and fawn does of the years. They are all trophies in my eyes.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
[rquote=1496337&tid=104444&author=Scrub Buck Hunter]QDM to me is like the war on drugs, seems to be a good thing, but will never be successful! [/rquote]

That's because not everyone has the same interpretation of what QDM means and the knowledge to implement it properly.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Yeah, my wife is accountable for one of those 473 button bucks. it never fails, I leave her alone to hunt, and she shoots a button. She was upset with herself for not being able to distinguish it between a doe, which is what she thought she was shooting. Oh well, it was legal, and is great eating.

Sadly, in Dent county we dont have antler restrictions, so a majority of those 1332 antlered bucks are likely 1 1/2 year old bucks.

We have only taken one doe off our farm this year, and mys son shot her in youth season for his first deer, and from what Im seeing, I dont know if Ill shoot anymore this year, maybe one, Im not seeing the usual number of deer this year, likely due to no food available. They are definitely keeping my plots mowed to the ground right now though.

Good in a way to see Dent make it in the top 10 counties. We likely wouldnt have that high of a kill this year if our 1 1/2 year old bucks were protected though.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
[rquote=1496265&tid=104444&author=Bajacoop]prolly a lot of those dent county boys just gut those buttons and throw em in the tool box.[/rquote]

I was thinking the same thing :thinking:

·
27,514 Posts
It's hard to practice QDM on public ground. If I don't shoot the deer and put the meat in my freezer, the guy 100 yards from me will shoot it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
DENT COUNTY U SHOOT THE FIRST THING THAT COMES BY BECAUSE U MAY NOT SEE ANY THING ELSE, BEEN THERE DONE THAT, TOUGH HUNTING THERE

1 - 20 of 22 Posts