Conceal and Carry permits and archery season

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by JMAC, Apr 18, 2006.

1. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I've been reading through a thread on another site and they're having a discussion about whether or not it is lawful for a state to prohibit carrying a sidearm during archery season if you have a conceal/carry permit.

What are your thoughts?

2. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    I dont think it is lawful for a state to prohibit anyone from carrying period unless you are a convicted felon. The 2nd admendment has been trashed so bad it aint even funny. I think it is rediculous that you cannot carry a sidearm for protection during bowseason whether you have a ccw or not. I might go along with something saying it cannot be scoped but other than that, a hunter should have a way of defending themselves against whatever they may encounter in the deep woods.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I thought it was not legal to do that but I am going on old info.. I would be interested to know for sure!

BTW.. I have been doing this for a while now.. legal or not!

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Agent: Mr......RAT, is it? Well, sir, see we have a problem....

YOU AIN'T S'POSED TO BE DOIN THAT! Moral grounds won't get you out of a lofty ticket!

5. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Yeah, I dont think a game warden is gonna frisk you if you bump in to one while hunting. I'd hate to bump into a hog or bear with a litter or a mountain lion, let alone a meth lab with nothing but my recurve to defend myself.

6. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    And dead is dead. Once that lion locks onto you, good luck saving your life with a bow. I'd rather be judged by 12 than buried by 6. I have kids that need me to stick around for a few more years.

7. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Agreed. My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I totally see your point!

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    These dang mtn lions on my way to the stand in darkness got me skeered... I'd like a noise-maker just in case.

Guess ol green-jeans would have to search me to find out that I am "heavy" or "packing" whatever...

BTW.. dont try breaking into my camper when the wife and I are trying to have a nice weekend. She is capable of defense and I know that I am!!

I think it is very important that you coach your family if you are in a situation that might require defending yourself... knife, handgun or other. Common sense and self-preservation is key. my .02.

9. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I understand the logic behind restricting firearms being carried while bowhunting. I have never encountered anything in the woods here in Mo that makes me feel it neccisary to carry a firearm while bowhunting. It makes no difference to me one way or the other.

:cheers::cheers:

10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    This is my thought almost word for word. Thanks, Todd.

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Except for the occasional ignorant sob that you might encounter on public ground... dunno..

Catch 22 I guess.. I see both sides. :banana:

12. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I hunt public ground quite abit during the late season. Granted the late season leaves me seeing fewer other hunters,,but I've been lucky so far and all have been nice folks.

The meth lab angle is probably one of the most likely dangers in our woods today. If you run across a meth lab and feel someone is around,,just freeze and hold very still for a few minutes. If there are meth heads around they will be hyper enough it won't be long and they will be gone:rotfl::rotfl:

:cheers::cheers:

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Yep yep.. agreed! whackos...

14. Marine95

Marine95 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Fenton
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.

Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

The United States Constitution-1791. All rights reserved.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.

64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.

911- government sponsored dial a prayer.

Assault is behavior, not a device.

Criminals love gun control- it makes their job easier.

If guns cause crime, matches cause arson.

Only a government that is afraid of it's citizens try to control them.

You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

Enforce the "gun control laws" we have, don't make more.

When you remove the peoples right to bear arms, you create slaves.

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

"...a government by the people, for the people..."

15. I don't archery hunt... yet. I can tell you however, legal or not, I would have my handy Glock Model 23 in my shoulder holster while doin so. I now carry my glock or 30-30 with me at all times at the farm or in the woods. There was an incident that we all should remeber where a fella shot a bunch of hunters, and he was on their land. In this day and age, you don't know who your going to run into on your property and what they will be up to. I don't think I will have a problem explaining to and officer that I won't be hunting turkey or deer with a Glock with Trijicon night sights. If he doesn't agree, I will politely take the ticket, and discuss it with a judge at a later time.

16. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Legal or not I have been carrying a sidearm for the past 40 years. Will continue to do so. It is my RIGHT...

Jack

17. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

It's illegal, but it shouldn't be. :mad2:

18. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    At our previous farm, we had a couple of hundred acres back behind everyone else. Secluded was an understatement. One day, I was down at the barn and got one of those feelings and looked over and here comes this young lad walking down our fenceline carrying nothing but a machette. His story was that he was exploring the woods and got lost. Probably true but I told him to toss the blade in the back of my truck before I took him home. Wouldnt want to have that situation out in the woods with nothing but my bow.

A few weeks ago, I was out in the MTNF exploring a new trail. I walked up on a rather large dog who did not like me there at all. After a minute or two of agressive barking and growling, he decided to go the other way and give me the road. Glad I was armed.

A couple of years ago my cousin was out in an area known to be bad about meth labs. He was searching creek beds for arrowheads or any other indian stuff he can find. He and his buddy kind of got turned around and lost. They came up on a little shanty looking thing but before they could come very close at all, a guy burst out of it at a full steam run straight towards them. My cousin was unarmed and only had a walking stick he carries for snakes and such. He told his buddy that if this guy doesnt slow down I'm gonna take his head off with this stick so you better be ready to run. The guy stopped short and screamed at them acting very paranoid. They finally were able to head back the other direction. I told him he most likely had crosshairs on him at the time and didnt know it.

We just had a post on this forum a couple weeks ago about a youth hunt on private property where they found trespassers poaching and the poachers were very confrontagious to the hunter and his daughter. What if they had been trespassing squirrel hunters with shotguns during bow season and had the same attitude towards a bowhunter and his kid?

I've never lost my home to a fire, tornado or anything like that but I still carry homeowners insurance because I know it CAN happen.

I've never hit anyone with my vehicle but I carry auto insurance because I know it CAN happen.

I've never died but I carry life insurance because I know it CAN happen.

I've never had to defend myself with my firearm but I carry it because I know it CAN happen.

It's a survival tool just like my gps or lighter and it isnt gonna give me the urge to poach an animal with it just because I have it with me. Poachers will poach wether it is legal to have a firearm on you while bowhunting or not. This is just a way to make an agent's job easy instead of making them evaluate the situation and making an inteligent decision. I dont like sacrificing hunter's safety to make someone's job easier. There's a lot of liberal folks out there who would like to just make all guns illegal to own, that way, if the police caught you with a gun, you would have to be a criminal. That's too easy. In my opinion, it is the same line of thinking.

19. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Bowpredator, excellent post!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jack

20. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    "I think it is very important that you coach your family if you are in a situation that might require defending yourself... knife, handgun or other. Common sense and self-preservation is key."

Thanks Rat, you saved me some typing!