Computer ?

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by 90acres, Feb 15, 2006.

1. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    We finally have to upgrade our computer because the one we have is no longer big enough for a high school student. We currently have a Compaq Presario that has been nothing but troublefree since we bought it back in 99.
    What brand would be best to go with? I know there are lots of opinions, I'll just wade through them and hope for the best. Thanks.

2. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    get a MAC.....PERIOD!

3. ArrowJumper

ArrowJumper New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    St. Elizabeth, MO
    If I were you I would get a Dell, they are reasonably priced and they have great customer service. You can get a MAC but most schools have Microsoft Windows based pc's so I would stick with a Windows based pc so your kid will already be familiar with how it works. If you get a pc that is Windows based make sure you get Windows XP Professional operating system on it.

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    MACs are nice but you sure pay for them. HP makes a decent computer and so does Dell but I'd look into buying a custom computer on a website like www.ibuypower.com

My bro bought a computer from them...full package for under $1000 and it doesn't have any of that unnecessary software. Just FAST!

5. Transplanted Hoosier

Transplanted Hoosier New Member

Oct 16, 2002
    HOME AT LAST!!
    Find a local computer store that builds their own (orders all the parts like mother boards, drives etc); talk to the guy and tell him exactly what for/how you will be using it ; let him build one for you. This way you get exactly what you need, probably at a lower price and establish a relationship with someone that will be there if/when you need assistance.

6. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    lap top so they could use in college down the road

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    I would beg to differ... bs customer service and bait and switch shipping.. I used to agree with your statement AJ but my latest purchase from dell is my last one... You get burned once, its not your fault, but if you let it happen again.. your just plain dumb.. ill never purchase anything from dell or any of its subsidiaries (sp?) ever again in my life, nor will i ever recommend them...

8. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003

so dave, can you tell us how you really feel.:D

9. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    :banghead:

Well I could.. BUT I would need to install the missouri whitetails expletive reducer.. In the end it would look something like this...

So [BLEEP] I [BLEEP] [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] but really i [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] and then [BLEEP] after that i would [BLEEP] [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] all because DELL [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] and really made me [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] mad, so i wouldnt ever [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] deal with them [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] ever again in my [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] life... and a few more [BLEEP][BLEEP][BLEEP] for good measures :hysterical:

10. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I guess my first question would be "Did you send it back?
    I have bought over 65 units from Dell this past year for customers----the only complaint that I'm aware of is one that a mouse freezes up on and after doing a small amout of tinkering---it works fine.

11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Pman.. no i didnt send it back... After all the troubles i went through just getting it here, i didnt need to have a heart attack trying to send it back..
    :bangin:
    I am merely venting my frustrations with the last purchase i made with them, im sure it was just a fluke, but just frustrates me.. :mad2:

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dude, looks like yer gettin a dell.

13. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Believe me when I tell you I understand-----Dont even get my started about the Computer Desk that I ordered on the 23 ed of January and got it on the 13th of February.

My experiances with Dell have all been good ones when I look at the big picture. They have always stayed in contact with me during shipping as well as they have always been great with their teck support what little I have needed it. Now remember i'm buying low end machings and when you pay 299.00 for a completed system---well you know the rest. Out of all the machines--that mouse problem was the worse---and they simply offered to swap it out with a replacement--(At their cost on shipping) but it just needed some memory shifting done and it worked fine. :cheers:

I'd call them and let thme know what you NOT happy about---I'll bet you they will do what ever it takes to make it right. Now remember---them big brown trucks make mistakes too!:cheers:

:wave:

14. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    I may spend more but I would rather speak with someone I feel comfortable with in person. Also, for me dealing local is more efficient for me because I like things handled then and there, yes again I pay more but that is part of the expense I expect to pay. My suggestion; buy local, feel comfortable with the vendor and remember it will be outdated prior to using it. I have been using the Presarion 900 for a couple of years now and have no problems with capacity, access, or portability.
    :wave:

15. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    If you are not very PC smart then go with someone that will provide tech service perferably not in india, if you want i can build you one and ship it to you U2U me and let me know what your looking for and i can get you a price.

16. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Yeah my only other problem i had with dell was with one of my desktops, the modem wouldnt work right out of the box, called them and they sent me a new one.. in the end, i didnt need a new modem, i merely took it out and reseated it and it worked fine..

I think i will give em a call..

17. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Voice you problems---Let them know why your not happy. This could all boil down to being a mes up with the guys in the big brown trucks----but that dont happen very often....

Chase----I cant buy half the componets for a computer for what I can buy an entire system for---but I refuse to use junk as well as I wont build a celron unit either!:cheers:

18. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    I guess your mileage will vary. Your Compaq has been troublefree since 99 - mine died in about 8 months. I use a Dell at work and don't have any problems. Except for my one foray into name-brand PC's, I have always had one built custom. Why? Lots of reasons. First, you can pick and choose your components (brand!!) and tower, etc. They are easy to change components on, you have a relationship with a local, and you get your OS installed without all the junk that comes with your name brand PC. More PC, less cost.

19. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    I agree with ArrowJumper. It's hard to do reports back and forth from school to home when you dont have the same thing on both computers. Take my advice, I'm a high schooler myself.

20. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I have absolutely no problems with my Mac files being converted over to my PC. They convert just fine and can be edited on both.

Besides...you are probably right....I wouldn't suggest a Mac for anyone that isn't proficient enough to advance beyond the relm of windows-based PCs. You can do SOOOOOO much more with Macs. Yes, they may be more expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for. Oh, BTW, there are no known viruses that affect Macs!

But, if you don't get a mac...I agree with most everyone else here, have someone build you one!