Commonly asked mineral site questions

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Detrhoyt, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Chantry yoakum

Chantry yoakum New Member

Nov 18, 2017
    I am just getting started and I can’t see any of the files attached can y’all recommend me a good starting mineral lick please and thank you

2. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    50lb bag of cattle mineral and 50lb bag of stock salt are the basics and will keep the deer coming.

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Make sure it's legal in your county first.

In order to help keep the CWD disease from spreading, the Missouri Department of Conservation recently expanded its restrictions on feeding deer.

It goes into effect July 1, 2017.

It will affect 12 new counties.

They include: Barry, Benton, Cedar, Dade, Hickory, Ozark, Polk, St. Clair, St. Francois, Ste. Genevieve, Stone, and Taney Counties.

These 12 will bring the total across the state to 41 counties.

Adair, Boone, Callaway, Carroll, Chariton, Cole, Cooper, Crawford, Franklin, Gasconade, Jefferson, Knox, Linn, Livingston, Macon, Miller, Moniteau, Morgan, Osage, Putnam, Randolph, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby, St. Charles, St. Louis, Sullivan, Warren, and Washington counties are already included.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

It would be interesting to test these recipes against just salt only such as a salt block or pellets by having them next to each other with a camera on each one and see which gets used the most. I think any mineral site is better than no mineral site and deer in the area will use it just as frequently no matter what recipe you use.

5. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I'd love to give this a try.....if I wouldn't get fined.

6. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think the white salt would get hit the most. That's what appeals to the deer.

7. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Plain salt really offers the deer no benefit. It mainly helps to get them to use the mineral.

8. Chantry yoakum

Nov 18, 2017
    I put out what I could it was a 5 gallon bucket of big 6 trace mineral salt arm and hammer half a box and the rest was stock salt with some dried molasses thrown in for taste how often should I replenish this

9. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    By putting the molasses in the mix it will be considered as baited. The rest are natural ingredients.

truehunter likes this.
  10. Chantry yoakum

Nov 18, 2017
    Mailman I’m not hunting over this I’m just trying to get more minerals into my deer back to my question how often should I add to this?

11. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Once or twice a year

12. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This ^

13. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Technically you don't have to hunt directly over a site to be considered hunting bait. If it influences deer movement you can be considered hunting bait. Missouri doesn't have a set distance from a bait.

Mailman likes this.
  14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

You can hunt over a mineral site as long as it doesn't have what they consider bait. But currently if your county is a cwd zone you aren't allowed to have a mineral site.

Mailman likes this.
  15. 2 the Plug

2 the Plug Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Look to the East!
    We used to put up mineral licks like Fireman Brads Version each year. But we have been one of now 41 CWD countries for a couple years. When will we know if we can start minerals in Boone and surrounding CWD counties again?