Commonly asked mineral site questions

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Detrhoyt, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    Folks are always asking about mineral site recipes, what Di-Cal or Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda is, etc. So here is some info that will hopefully answer some questions.

What is a good basic recipe to start a mineral site with?

This one is from FiremanBrad. It consists of two 50lb bags of trace mineral salt, one 50lb bag of regular stock salt, and one 50lb bag of Di-Cal. All of these products are available from most any farm and feed store like Feldman's or MFA.
    [file]243047[/file]

What is Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda? Where do you get it?

Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda is sodium carbonate. It is not to be confused with Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, which is sodium bicarbonate. A&H Super Washing Soda is an attractant some folks add to their mineral sites because the deer really do seem to love it. You can purchase A&H Super Washing Soda from most any grocery store or Wal-Mart. It is usually found in the cleaning products aisle, next to the borax. It comes in a cereal-sized box that looks like this:
    [file]243048[/file]

This is a chart that Modeerhunter posted, showing the nutritional values in some of the more popular mineral site products:
    [file]243049[/file]

If anyone else has mineral site information to add to this thread, please do so!:cheers:

archer66 likes this.
  2. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    The Arm and Hammer Recipe is

1 Box Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda, and
    1 50lb bag stock salt (I've used solar crystal water softener salt as well)

Sometimes when establishing a big new lick use a double batch, then freshen yearly with single batch.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Good idear! :eek::

4. rockchucker

rockchucker Senior Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Wentzville Mo.
    try mfa mineral #5 mixed with vitarack lick site and some lucky buck

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=2503114&tid=171738&author=rockchucker]try mfa mineral #5 mixed with vitarack lick site and some lucky buck[/rquote]

Pertaining to adding Lucky Buck to your mineral lick please read this:

I sent the people at Lucky Buck an email last year with a question.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM, William Stewart wrote:

I need a clarification of the statement you provide on your website pertaining to the legality of using your product in my home state of Missouri.

Quote from your website:

"Missouri: Legal to feed deer until 10 days prior to hunting. Then, no food sources are allowed for deer bait. Lucky Buck mineral is legal as it contains no grain products."

By the label on your Lucky Buck Mineral of the ingredients to your product is says it contains Soybean Oil. In my opinion and I'm sure that my local MDC Agent would agree with me is that your product is illegal to use in Missouri since it does contain a grain product. Can you provide me proof positive that it is indeed legal to use here in Missouri during hunting seasons? Are you or your appointed lawyer/s willing to represent me if I get a ticket for "Baiting"?

Concerned Hunter from Missouri

His returned email....

Flag this messageRe: Lucky Buck MineralMonday, September 19, 2011 10:51 AM
    From: "David Wheeler" Add sender to ContactsTo: "William Stewart" If you have doubts don't use it. We are trying to sort this out. I think that a grain is different than an oil. We use a very little for dust control, I know the amount makes no difference on legality but we are trying to find out how this stands. thanks for your concern.
    Dave Wheeler

As for me............I'm sticking with my Arm & Hammer Salt Lick.......Plain.

6. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Great thread!!

I use the same mix pictured above so since I have nothing to add there I'll talk about lick LOCATION....feel free to add to this if you have more or better info:

--set up mineral site in an area that already receives good deer traffic and where deer feel safe and will hang out a while.
    --choose a location that is flat or can be made flat with minimal digging.
    --use a shovel to dig a shallow hole....just a few inches deep...deep enough to keep the mineral where you want it and to allow water to accumulate... about 4 foot in diameter then pour the ingredients in the hole.
    --use the shovel to mix the ingredients working it into the ground....I usually add most of the dirt I dug out of the hole and mix it all up good.
    --if its really dry out and no rain is in the forecast I'll use a 5 gallon bucket to add water to the site
    --place a trailcam overlooking the site preferably facing the cam NORTH so summertime sun won't wash out pictures.
    --remove any brush or weeds between the mineral site and the camera so you won't get pictures of weeds
    --Hang a stand within easy bow range!!!!

For me peak mineral site use has been June-October but deer will use them year round

7. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Good stuff there Arch....you musta been reading my mind. I will add that I like to set the camera about 6 feet from the lick and about knee high. Nice close up shots are the best and a most definate on the north facing angle.:2thumbsup:

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    my sites are exactly this recipe Detr posted, but i also put a trophy rock by each site........they love it.......mix it good with the soil and refresh in the early spring......:wave:

9. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    This reminds me, I need to pick up some more mineral and trophy rocks:eek::

I'll also add, I sometimes add a gallon of molasses (pick it up in the equine section at orchelns)
    Ramps up activity to the mineral sight. Not sure what the nutritional values are or anything as I don't have a bottle sitting in front of me

[Edited on 6-1-2012 by Jeremy]

10. Meathead

Meathead New Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Are you allowed to put out mineral during the hunting season, as long as it does not have feed or grain products in it?

11. I-55 Bandit

I-55 Bandit New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    [rquote=2547416&tid=171738&author=Meathead]Are you allowed to put out mineral during the hunting season, as long as it does not have feed or grain products in it?[/rquote]absolutely

12. cal-cain

cal-cain New Member

Apr 20, 2012
    benton county
    The first picture is my base ingredients. I've yet to try the arm and hammer though..

13. Meathead

Meathead New Member

Jun 28, 2012
    [rquote=2547429&tid=171738&author=I-55Bandit][rquote=2547416&tid=171738&author=Meathead]Are you allowed to put out mineral during the hunting season, as long as it does not have feed or grain products in it?[/rquote]absolutely[/rquote]

Cool. Thanks for the response. I've got a couple feed/mineral sites going now that I'd like to be able to keep active during the season.

Will they still seek out mineral after velvet is gone? I've always heard they won't hit mineral as much once antler velvet is gone.

14. I-55 Bandit

I-55 Bandit New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    [rquote=2547474&tid=171738&author=Meathead][rquote=2547429&tid=171738&author=I-55Bandit][rquote=2547416&tid=171738&author=Meathead]Are you allowed to put out mineral during the hunting season, as long as it does not have feed or grain products in it?[/rquote]absolutely[/rquote]

Cool. Thanks for the response. I've got a couple feed/mineral sites going now that I'd like to be able to keep active during the season.

Will they still seek out mineral after velvet is gone? I've always heard they won't hit mineral as much once antler velvet is gone.[/rquote]
    Here knock yourself out :D good luck filtering through all that :bull: :hysterical:
    http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=176446

15. Meathead

Meathead New Member

Jun 28, 2012
    gee thanks for sharing that!

16. I-55 Bandit

I-55 Bandit New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    just lookin out for ya

17. Dice102

Dice102 Member

Jul 17, 2012
    How often are you guys replenishing your sites. I've never tried the recipe in the 1st post but would love to try it

18. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=2566395&tid=171738&author=Dice102]How often are you guys replenishing your sites. I've never tried the recipe in the 1st post but would love to try it [/rquote]

Once per year, usually in the spring. March-April

I usually put a trophy rock out next to the lick about September 1st to add a little something extra to hunt over.

19. Rhettisadlar

Rhettisadlar New Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Cheap trip to Orscheln's:

Half of a 50lb bag of Big 6 trace mineral ($6.79), Full 50lb bag of Fine stock salt ($3.99), Mix in 5 gallon bucket. Rake the leaves out of an area…and rake into the ground about an inch deep…8ft X 8ft wide. Pour in your mixture evenly. Rake it into the ground.

If you can find the Dicalcium Phosphate…mix in some of that as well. That really helps the racks grow. Best to use that particular mixture (dical) in late may through june. That’s when they grow.

:02:

[file]266731[/file] [file]266733[/file]

20. deerstalker85

deerstalker85 New Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Central Missouri
    I would also add that while buck use of mineral sites is important to help antler growth, the minerals added to the female's milk through these sites is key to getting the fawns an early and productive start which also leads to a health herd and bigger bucks!