Common Sense Gun Legislation ?

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by WBF, Oct 3, 2017.

1. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    With the latest loss of life--mass casualty-- incident in Las Vegas due to an active shooter with multiple firearms, ammo . What are some areas/ideas that you believe as a gun owner you would be willing to listen to? Where do you draw the line on any "new" gun legislation VS areas that you might be persuaded to give up certain gun rights as a law abiding citizen ?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Chew likes this.
  2. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    I am unwilling to concede anything. Based on tonight's news, my slidefire stock will be the next target. Good thing I saved the original stock

Banning worked well for booze, pot, meth, cocaine, hash, undocumented immigration, ivory imports and a host of others.

I remember when I had to go to the Sheriff and get a "Permission Slip" to buy a handgun. Why does the Sheriff need to get his nose between two lawful adults trying to conduct commerce? We don't need to go back to that.

Last I knew modifying NFA regulated arms was illegal. Property destruction, possession and manufacture of explosive devices, assault of a law enforcement officer, assault, man slaughter and murder were all illegal. Those laws work exceptionally well.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    jon-jon, DCSarchette, tcwild and 6 others like this.

3. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

What need stock for?

4. Sentinel

Sentinel Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    USA
    WBF you are treading down a slippery slope. I won't concede to anything. Don't you get it. The liberals/progressives want all of your guns, not just your modern sporting rifles (also referred to by the media as "assault weapons"). Unfortunately, the left is using this as political fodder to push their agendas.

Bad people will always find ways to do bad things. Just look at France and the UK. Vehicles, to include large trucks, were used in those attacks. There are already enough gun laws on the books. It is a truly a tragedy that this happened, but more gun laws won't stop incidents such as this.

DCSarchette, BC-Buck, tcwild and 4 others like this.
  5. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Old laws , new laws don't keep criminals from getting guns ... just law abiding people

DCSarchette, wiser1, STTH and 3 others like this.
  6. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    This is still America.
    It is not a matter of need.
    It is legal.
    I want it.
    I can afford it.
    So I own it.
    I don't need 12 fishing rods either, but I own them.

7. mattys281

mattys281 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Arizona
    Let's put this problem into perspective:

in 2015, 475 deaths & 1870 injuries related to "mass shootings", which I believe anything involving more than 2 or 3 is considered "mass" (but I'm trusting my memory). This would include every gang-banger drive by and robbery where shots are fired in a crowded store, etc. 13,286 total gun related deaths, excluding suicide.

Same year we lost 38,300 americans to automobile accidents with another 4.4 million injured.

They don't want your guns for the public's safety, they want them for political power. Period. Big Brother is here and he's on the move.

DCSarchette and Maddux like this.
  8. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I believe a mass shooting is defined as 4 individuals involved. And if memory serves, that number can include the shooter if he commits suicide or is killed in the event as in Vegas..

Crappie likes this.
  9. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Almost every month, that many get killed or wounded in Chicago.

DCSarchette likes this.
  10. Ridealong

Ridealong Active Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Smithville
    Why do we need more gun laws. I thought that owning a fully auto like that was illegal unless you’re military or a certain type of ffl.
    I though killing people was already illegal.
    Why do law abiding citizens need more laws to follow when jackwads like this are still gonna get there hands on weapons that they shouldn’t and hurt or kill people.
    Guns are not bad. The gun didn’t load it’s self. The gun did shoot by its self. No the A hole holding the gun did.
    That’s just what the libtards want us to believe. Guns are bad. If we get rid of them there won’t be any killings.

DCSarchette likes this.
  11. fstchkn

fstchkn Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    There's no denying though that if one wanted to shoot as many people as fast as possible they'd chose the fastest shooting gun that needs reloading the least.

12. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    No doubt a large vehicle or an IED would have likely done more than what he did with a few guns

13. wingman

wingman Active Member

May 30, 2012
    Or one of the 2 airplanes that he supposedly owned

14. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. The U.S. population is 324,059,091 as of June 22, 2016. Do the math: 0.000000925% of the population dies from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant! What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:
    • 65% of those deaths are by suicide, which would never be prevented by gun laws.
    • 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified.
    • 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – better known as gun violence.
    • 3% are accidental discharge deaths.
    So technically, "gun violence" is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Now lets look at how those deaths spanned across the nation.
    • 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
    • 344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
    • 333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
    • 119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)
    So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.
    This basically leaves 3,825 for the entire rest of the nation, or about 75 deaths per state. That is an average because some States have much higher rates than others. For example, California had 1,169 and Alabama had 1.
    Now, who has the strictest gun laws by far? California, of course, but understand, it is not guns causing this. It is a crime rate spawned by the number of criminal persons residing in those cities and states. So if all cities and states are not created equal, then there must be something other than the tool causing the gun deaths.
    Are 5,100 deaths per year horrific? How about in comparison to other deaths? All death is sad and especially so when it is in the commission of a crime but that is the nature of crime. Robbery, death, rape, assault are all done by criminals. It is ludicrous to think that criminals will obey laws. That is why they are called criminals.
    But what about other deaths each year?
    • 40,000+ die from a drug overdose–THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT!
    • 36,000 people die per year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths.
    • 34,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities(exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide).
    Now it gets good:
    • 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors. You are safer walking in the worst areas of Chicago than you are when you are in a hospital!
    • 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. It’s time to stop the double cheeseburgers! So what is the point? If the liberal loons and the anti-gun movement focused their attention on heart disease, even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.). A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total number of gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides ................ Simple, easily preventable 10% reductions! So you have to ask yourself, in the grand scheme of things, why the focus on guns? It's pretty simple:
    Taking away guns gives control to governments. The founders of this nation knew that regardless of the form of government, those in power may become corrupt and seek to rule as the British did by trying to disarm the populace of the colonies. It is not difficult to understand that a disarmed populace is a controlled populace.
    Thus, the second amendment was proudly and boldly included in the U.S. Constitution. It must be preserved at all costs. So the next time someone tries to tell you that gun control is about saving lives, look at these facts and remember these words from Noah Webster: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed."

15. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I am never in favor of taking away something from everyone, just because there are a few who don't know how to behave with it. What's next?

I have yet to hear of a "common sense" gun law that would prevent stuff like this. A determined bad guy, is going to to bad stuff. Best you can do is try and stop them, knowing that you will never catch everything. Bad people been doing bad stuff since Cain & Able if you are a bible person, or for as long as there has been written history if you are not. :wave1: People are never going to stop killing people for as long as there are people to kill.

If someone can come up with a "common sense" gun law, that does not impact law abiding individuals, then I am all ears.... :wave1:

16. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    Not my words, or my facts. Something I saw posted during a discussion. I thought some of you might like to read it. I have no idea if the claims are 100% true.

WBF likes this.
  17. Chew

Chew Member's member

Feb 15, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    I'd like to see something really strict. Australian style. Or maybe forcing all gun owners to carry insurance that would cover possible damages.

I'd just like to embrace the "well-regulated" portion of the 2A.

18. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    THis would stop nothing, and only put a burden on the people who obey the laws....

DCSarchette, wingman and Mule like this.
  19. Chew

Chew Member's member

Feb 15, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    Saying it did "nothing" is hyperbole.
    It drastically lowered the mass shootings in Australia, along with suicides and other shootings.

MOFish20 likes this.