Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here own & shoot them. I have the urge to purchase one this yr. I know to change out the factory nipples to Slix brand n use Rem. #10 caps. Been watching a lot of videos on them over on the u-tube

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
.44Cal. are good, just make sure and use FFF Powder and grease over the cylinders.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin knows they go BOOOOM! :eek:

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,631 Posts
Dunno about the Colt Navy's. Bought a '58 Remington from Uberti a coupla years ago and love it. (Actually, after reading reviews, bought it from Taylor. Spent an extra $30 or so, and had a revolver that had been screened. Evidently a lot of the Italian pistols don't work just right).
No change out for nipples, and I use the German black powder.
No recoil, more of a push.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Ever watch videos of guys shooting #9 shot out of them? You could hang balloons on a fence & have some think you're quite the gun slinger.
How much do they cost to shoot using round ball? They look like fun.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The navy is a nice one. I would recommend the army though! U can take the cylinder out of the army and clean it better. They both shoot the same and r pretty dern accurate. Ive dropped a deer with one years back!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ever watch videos of guys shooting #9 shot out of them? You could hang balloons on a fence & have some think you're quite the gun slinger.
How much do they cost to shoot using round ball? They look like fun.
No i have not, i want to be a happy plinker with the round balls. Round ball per 100 runs with tax about $12.50 n use up about same in fffg. So $25 per 100 for fun & enjoyment

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The navy is a nice one. I would recommend the army though! U can take the cylinder out of the army and clean it better. They both shoot the same and r pretty dern accurate. Ive dropped a deer with one years back!
I am not locked in to the Colt Navy nor the .36 cal, i do want to keep recoil down on a 69 yr olds hands. I have my ML to kill those deer who come my way. This is just for fun n enjoyment, so i am not wanting to hold any 3 lb Big Iron. I have no idea how much the Army model weighs. I am in the video n Forum learning stage prior to laying down my samolians

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,631 Posts
Here's the one I bought. Shorter barrel.
https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/han...n/1858-remington-case-hardened-checkered.html
I did buy another cylinder, just so's I could shoot 12 times without stopping to re-load.
Seriously, a black powder does NOT give you the recoil you are used to from a modern fire-arm. Plus, you can load anywhere from 20 grains to 35 or 40 if you want. My gun likes 25 grains.
I also use the .455 balls, not the .452, cause when swaged, I get a complete ring of lead from the balls, so I don't fear the cross-fire.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well looks like i will order a Uberti 1860 Army .44 all steel. It has the same size n balance as the Navy from which it was made from.

Reactions: jmp1463

·
King of Callaway
42,812 Posts
Let us know what you think of it after a little run time. :cheers:

Reactions: WBF

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did order the Uberti colt 1860 .44 cal perc. from Dixie Gun Works this morning. I will buy a spare cylinder in the future. I am going to Springfield tomorrow to visit a Dentist n a friend of ours n Bass Pro. Hope to pick up round balls n Rem.#10 caps. Will see in'en they have any fffg blk. powder. I have half pound of Goex that should get me started

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the .44 yesterday n have looked at it. Its very nice metal fit, just a touch high on the grip wood on the back strap up at the Hammer area. Either the trigger bolt spring or the cyl. hand is abit stiff too me. The cyl. does spin well n free no slack to be out of alignment. I will clean it n wait til i have more accessories before i try to load n shoot it. I picked up the .454 round balls n a tin of # 10 Rem. caps from high dollar Bass Pro.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
I bought my first 1851 Navy in about 1974 and added an 1860 Army shortly thereafter. For the last few years I trapped I carried an 1849 Baby Dragoon in 31 cal. and it worked just fine for trapped critters.

I can't imagine you won't enjoy your Army. If you have caps and balls seems the only other thing you need is some lube and Crisco smeared on the front of the cylinders works fine for that. I took a few squirrels with the Navy and the only thing I killed with the Army was some stray cats on the farm. It worked well for that. I shoot 30 grs. of Fffg and round balls in the Army which gives about the same ballistics as a 38 Spl.

Run a hundred or so rounds through it and it should smooth up. They are great fun and the round ball kills all out of proportion to its paper ballistics.

Reactions: WBF

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought my first 1851 Navy in about 1974 and added an 1860 Army shortly thereafter. For the last few years I trapped I carried an 1849 Baby Dragoon in 31 cal. and it worked just fine for trapped critters.

I can't imagine you won't enjoy your Army. If you have caps and balls seems the only other thing you need is some lube and Crisco smeared on the front of the cylinders works fine for that. I took a few squirrels with the Navy and the only thing I killed with the Army was some stray cats on the farm. It worked well for that. I shoot 30 grs. of Fffg and round balls in the Army which gives about the same ballistics as a 38 Spl.

Run a hundred or so rounds through it and it should smooth up. They are great fun and the round ball kills all out of proportion to its paper ballistics.
I have 4 jars of maxi lube n 1/2 lb fffg Goex. I need to get a bore brush. I figure Dawn detg. n hot water will clean it well

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
It will, strip it down and if Momma doesn't disapprove the kitchen sink works just fine. 'Course a slop sink in the shop might keep the missus happier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts