Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reluctant to even apply but did apply for a preference point .
This ended up costing me
$81.75 for a small game license
$10 habitat stamp
$9 application fee
So I have. $100 in it so far
Next year another point will cost the same or if I try to draw . If I hunted a high point area a person could hav e$1000’s wrapped up in a tag.
I love chasing elk but Colorado may not be on my list much longer.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
I have a feeling this isnt going to be the same next year...

· Registered
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would hope not I sent an email said it’s for funding but why not call it a point fee or something. Making me buy a hunting license which I’ll never use sits wrong with me.
Tax all the dispensaries they have now which is like a Casey’s store around here there is so many.
They sure aren’t spending their money on the roads from it.

· Registered
70,871 Posts
Maybe a dumb question....but is there a state in the union where a Missouri boy can just drive to and buy an elk tag over the counter and go shoot a bull elk like all out of state hunters can do here in Missouri for taking a buck whitetail deer?

Seems other states are sticking it to out of state hunters IMO.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
This ended up costing me
$10 habitat stamp
$9 application fee
Next year another point will cost the same or if I try to draw . If I hunted a high point area a person could hav e$1000's wrapped up in a tag.
Yeah, I think that's the point. They are trying to price a few folks outta the game to relieve some of the hunting pressure and point creep. But I agree that requiring an $81 small game license to elk hunt seems a little silly, and effectively raised the price of a PP to $100, and an elk tag to over $700. But that's still gonna be one of the cheapest elk tags available, and still some of the only guaranteed draw or OTC in the country. There's a lotta states that do the same thing.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
I would hope not I sent an email said it's for funding but why not call it a point fee or something. Making me buy a hunting license which I'll never use sits wrong with me.
Tax all the dispensaries they have now which is like a Casey's store around here there is so many.
They sure aren't spending their money on the roads from it.
The weed money doesn't pay for roads or wildlife, it's all earmarked for "education", read liberal brain washing.

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Maybe a dumb question....but is there a state in the union where a Missouri boy can just drive to and buy an elk tag over the counter and go shoot a bull elk like all out of state hunters can do here in Missouri for taking a buck whitetail deer?

Yeah, Colorado. If you don't apply or want a preference point, I think you can still just buy the OTC tag. Not sure you need the small game license if you aren't applying for a limited tag. But that's about it. Some areas have high success draws that you can get pretty easily, like Montana, but the tag is $1000. And Colorado have by far the most elk. Not necessarily trophy potential, but the most for sure.

· just a no body
16,272 Posts

Colorado and I'm not to sure about OTC but I was able to buy a depredation Elk Tag at the DNR in UTAH

· Registered
13,457 Posts
This ended up costing me
$10 habitat stamp
$9 application fee
Next year another point will cost the same or if I try to draw . If I hunted a high point area a person could hav e$1000's wrapped up in a tag.
I did mine yesterday too. This will give me 13 points for deer and elk. Planning on using them in the near future. After that, I'm not sure if I'll mess with more points or not.

· Blonde Bearded Guy
8,383 Posts
Do it a little bit earlier, and you'd already be over it like me. :rofl: Until next year.

· Banned
66,381 Posts

yes. colorado

· Registered
70,871 Posts
Maybe I'll get lucky and take one out with my truck the next time I drive out west. My $500 deductible is much cheaper than a tag and all the rest of the stuff required.

· Registered
3,294 Posts
Maybe I'll get lucky and take one out with my truck the next time I drive out west. My $500 deductible is much cheaper than a tag and all the rest of the stuff required.
Thats if you live through the crash. It would be like hitting a horse. Don't let all this talk of expense of drawing a tag discourage you if you want to go. Buy an over the counter tag and go hunt an open unit. As of a few years ago some Colorado units allowed archery cow only tags to be purchased. Not sure if they are still sold. They were around half price of an any elk or bull tag. Cheap way to bring home a bunch of meat and have a awesome elk hunting experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.