Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again folks, could you please recommend collapsible-style stand-up decoys? Something portable to carry in vest. Thank you once again!
:pop:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,764 Posts
I have buckwing decoys...i think that's the name...anyway I really like them. They are collapsable and very durable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,259 Posts
I have a couple of featherflex and one really nice hard plastic type that I'm not sure of the brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,462 Posts
I've been using Skeery blow up decoys the last couple of years. They are pretty handy, look good and don't take up much space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those decoys look great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
Whatever brand you decide on try to get an alert hen and a feeding hen. This year I am not going to use a Jake decoy as last year I had Jakes chase away a mature Tom. Don't want a Tom hanging up because he sees a Jake.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite a few choices, decisions!
 

·
VECtor Custom Calls
Joined
·
41,499 Posts
Nicholas,

None of them are the greatest, and all of the flexy/plastic ones are about the same. They're great, and stand up to the conditions great.....FOR A YEAR, and then they tend to fall flat on their face. Some folks on here in the past have talked about re-working these decoys with a hair dryer.

The reason I don't want to use the blow up ones is because I'm not going to take the time to blow them up. When I get to a spot, I want to get set up quick and get set down.

Just go out and get 2 hens and a jake of whatever kind floats your boat. There's just not one that's better than another. You're looking for light weight, durability, compactability, and ones that look pretty decent.

My .02 is don't get caught up on something that looks TOO real cause then you're going to attract hunters and lead too! :eek:

Parker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parker, that all makes sense! Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,897 Posts
I just resently perchased Flambeau Outdoors " Breeding Flock " It comes with 2 feedings hens and one jake uprite, and the solid folding stakes. befor taxes its was 29.99 at dunns sporting goods in pevelly.

I my self have desided that this spring hunt i will be plasing out 5 feeding hens and one uprite hen no jake. Reason being that in 11 years of hunting terkeys 10 of them I have put out jake with a hen. Last year I jsut put out one hen and got my first terky ever.
I did alot of terky waching last spring and this winter time and noticed that when a bunch of terkys are together, most of the times one is looking around and rest are eatting. Thus the bunch of feeding hens in my set. Curently I only own 3 feeding hens, nead to bumm some more monies from wife next month.
 

·
VECtor Custom Calls
Joined
·
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Longbow26
I just resently perchased Flambeau Outdoors " Breeding Flock " It comes with 2 feedings hens and one jake uprite, and the solid folding stakes. befor taxes its was 29.99 at dunns sporting goods in pevelly.

I my self have desided that this spring hunt i will be plasing out 5 feeding hens and one uprite hen no jake. Reason being that in 11 years of hunting terkeys 10 of them I have put out jake with a hen. Last year I jsut put out one hen and got my first terky ever.
I did alot of terky waching last spring and this winter time and noticed that when a bunch of terkys are together, most of the times one is looking around and rest are eatting. Thus the bunch of feeding hens in my set. Curently I only own 3 feeding hens, nead to bumm some more monies from wife next month.
You're heading in the right direction for sure Longbow. I used to carry a TON of decoys out with me, looked like a duck hunter walking through the woods. I have currently gone away from the 12-17 bird setup though, because on the grounds that I am hunting, I just have to set up in a funnel and call them in.

This method works best early season and late season. Kinda like the bird is thinking 'hey, there you guys are! Where have you been?!' It works great. :cheers:

Parker
 

·
VECtor Custom Calls
Joined
·
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Nicholas
Sounds simple enough!
Yes, yes, turkey hunting, in theory, and on television IS VERY easy! For the sake of recruiting you as a turkey hunting die-hard, I hope you get lucky and everything comes together perfect for you on day one! :cheers:

Oh, and um, Nick ol' buddy.....spend some GOOD $ on Permanone (bug spray for your clothes only) and OFF. You will need it, and you will want to have the off at arm's reach all of the time. Use as much as you can stand breathing, cause the turks can't smell it a bit! Do NOT go without it, even if there is frost on the ground in the morning. :cheers:

Parker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Parker, thanks for the info., it sounds as if the bugs may want to get me! I plan on taking a Turkey hunting class at Busch Range in a couple of weeks and hope I learn something, as well as find people to take me out on my initial run. This is all very exciting and I plan on being a die hard!
:wave:
 

·
just a no body
Joined
·
15,618 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
Nicholas,

None of them are the greatest, and all of the flexy/plastic ones are about the same. They're great, and stand up to the conditions great.....FOR A YEAR, and then they tend to fall flat on their face. Some folks on here in the past have talked about re-working these decoys with a hair dryer.

The reason I don't want to use the blow up ones is because I'm not going to take the time to blow them up. When I get to a spot, I want to get set up quick and get set down.

Just go out and get 2 hens and a jake of whatever kind floats your boat. There's just not one that's better than another. You're looking for light weight, durability, compactability, and ones that look pretty decent.

My .02 is don't get caught up on something that looks TOO real cause then you're going to attract hunters and lead too! :eek:

Parker
Yep
 

·
just a no body
Joined
·
15,618 Posts
Originally posted by Nicholas
Parker, thanks for the info., it sounds as if the bugs may want to get me! I plan on taking a Turkey hunting class at Busch Range in a couple of weeks and hope I learn something, as well as find people to take me out on my initial run. This is all very exciting and I plan on being a die hard!
:wave:
Uhmm..Turkey hunting class??...sorry just sounds strange to me..best class is the woods ..but I'm sure it'll be helpfull untill you develope your own methodolgy.

next part concerns me a little... So let me get this straight..you want to turkey hunt but have no one to take you nor a place to go?

There's alot of good people on this board so maybe someone will let you tag along

On that Nick...Good luck

maybe you should go to (Hayzer's??) campout
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,897 Posts
Nicholas i see it says u live in St Chaels area, I live in Farmington. I know its a bit of a drive. But if you want you woudl be welocme to drive down here on sunday night stay the night here and you and I try out one fo the local conservations areas. I have only kild one terky in my 11 years of hunting. the thersday or friday of first week i was invited to go to teh lease property in scottland county with my friends for 6 days of terky hunting. They are goign to build me 2 more stands in the after noon as well. Seams i am a pernament member of that hutnign club now, woot. So if you goign to come down it will ahve to be the first 3 days of the first week.

Food wise we eat simple fare meet and potatoes. you have any objection to fried onions and mushrooms? let me know.

I have not been to any of the conservation areas around here to hunt but land is land and there is bound to be a long beard or 2 im shure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Longbow that sounds interesting, and beanpile I did want to go to the campout, however we are expecting our first Easter Sunday, a boy, and my wife does not really want me that far away. It would have been fun though.
This is the description of the class;
"Turkey Hunting and Shotgun Patterning Seminar
August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area Shooting Range and Outdoor Education Center, St. Charles
Wednesday, March 29
6pm to 8pm
Seminar topics will include: safety, hunting regulation, proper shotgun patterning, hunting techniques, calling and field game care. Reservations begin: February 15th, call (636) 441-4554 for your seat."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
I have been useing the same Featherflex/Flambeau decoys for years and years. Last year I had one rip on me where the stick goes in. I am going to try sewing it back together. The hiar dryer worked pretty good when they decided not to look full anymore. If any of you have decoys with bent necks, use a plastic bag and shove it up in the neck. It will straighten that neck right up. And if you forget to pack an extra bag for mushrooms, you can just pull the bag out of the decoy when you find a mess of those tasty morsels.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top