Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weatherman says the feel like temp is supposed to be around 13 in the morning. Its rare but I have a morning off and was thinking about hunting....

Have heard alot of conflicting research about deer movement during really cold spells. Some say they move alot to stay warm but others say they lay up to conserve energy and body heat...

what say you? and I know that I have a better chance than sitting in my chair, but besides that

·
Grrrrrrr
29,979 Posts
Don't know where you live but where I live the temp is supposed to be 4 degrees tonight which I'm sure will carry over until sunrise. Don't know what the "feel like temp" will but but I bet it's darn cold.

I've bowhunted numerous times in single digit temps and sometimes I saw deer and sometimes I didn't. Shot a little doe one year in January at MTL, must have been about 8 degrees that morning.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I will be yote hunting. I like being able to move around when it is this cold out.

Being perched in a tree 1 hour before sunrise with wind chills in the negatives is not my idea of fun. Don't get me wrong, I will do it if I have to, but I have been lucky this year and don't need to.

Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most times for me during the late season, mornings are not nearly as productive as the evenings. When it's this cold out, I'd much rather go out in the late afternoon and wait for them to come out and feed before dark.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
[rquote=1504718&tid=104973&author=Harcomo]Most times for me during the late season, mornings are not nearly as productive as the evenings. When it's this cold out, I'd much rather go out in the late afternoon and wait for them to come out and feed before dark. [/rquote]Gotta agree with ya on that. I've seen alot more movement in the evenings. Several years ago we had some pretty good snow that laid on the ground for a couple weeks. In the middle of a 50 acre bean field we had left about 3 acres stand cuz it was to wet to get the combine through. Anyway in 2 evenings of setting along the edge of that field I saw 113 deer feeding in that little patch. They were all 200 yards away out in the open but still fun to see. The temps were in the single digits and I near froze to death but it was the biggest bunch of deer I ever saw.

·
Registered
32,513 Posts
[rquote=1505041&tid=104973&author=mathewsshooter89]Feel like temp is 13???? Were do you live? Florida? [/rquote]

When I woke up this morning, Weather.com said the temp was 8 and the "Feels Like Temp" was -6.

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,354 Posts
heading out this afternoon....hunting over a bean field that hasn't been picked yet on a farm that I've only hunted a few times this year..so if I don't freeze to death I should have a good hunt.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I too have seen more deer in the mid day to afternoons in the very cold? Looking to heading back that way for a muzzle loader hunt about thursday of next week then to Florida for Christmas and back to tough it out in hopes of a Late bow buck :cheers:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I`ve been checking my cams regularly, and as many here said afternoon til dark is showing is the most active time. Some days they start @1:00p.m. other days 3:00pm, but they are super predictable where I`m at right now. It`s been several days since I`ve seen anything in the mornings.

I`m going to take one more this year, but I aint getting up at 4:30 to do it, that`s for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.