Cold Weather Gear

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by 160983, Oct 29, 2010.

1. 160983

160983 Guest

Anybody here use artic shield cold weather gear?

If so is it as noisy as some make it out to be?

Looking for quiet and not so bulky for bow hunting in the coming months.

I used some of my old stuff and it sounds like velcro when it rubs against the tree.

Any input is appreciated.:)

2. hemi_guy06

hemi_guy06 New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Scott AFB, IL
    i use an arctic shield parka. mines quiet. its also really warm. it is a little bulky for bow hunting but i use a shooting sleeve and just wear it over my parka sleeve. otherwise i really like it.

3. 160983

160983 Guest

[rquote=1870290&tid=130200&author=hemi_guy06]i use an arctic shield parka. mines quiet. its also really warm. it is a little bulky for bow hunting but i use a shooting sleeve and just wear it over my parka sleeve. otherwise i really like it.[/rquote]

Which series? H3,h4, etc? I have read where the earlier series get quite noisy in below freezing weather.

Stuff isn't cheap - a trip to bass pro is probably in order. Thanks for your reply.

4. My main go to is underarmour, and good fleece stuff. Fleece will keep you warm even when wet! And is warm for as this as it is.

5. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    i'm going with wool this year when its cold.don't know if i will like it. but they say its quiet and i like that:D:cheers:

6. Squid Hunter

Squid Hunter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Winfield, MO
    I learned this lesson the hard way about Arctic Shield. First of all, AWESOME gear. very warm stuff. However, you should not put this gear in the dryer. It makes the insulation brittle which makes the noise that people talk about. My jacket is very noisy now so I don't wear it anymore but it would have been fine if I didn't dry it. Hope that helps you a bit.

7. hemi_guy06

hemi_guy06 New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Scott AFB, IL
    [rquote=1870293&tid=130200&author=Jusadog]Which series? H3,h4, etc? I have read where the earlier series get quite noisy in below freezing weather.

Stuff isn't cheap - a trip to bass pro is probably in order. Thanks for your reply.[/rquote]

to be honest i dont remember what series and i am not in the states to look at it. i shopped at bass pro quite a bit prior to buying and the arctic shield was a good bang for the buck. unfortunantly when i bought it they didnt have the bibs to match. so i went with red head and they are really nice as well.

8. I basically use all Under Armour stuff and just layer w/ fleece. I did buy some of the Storm Kloth II stuff at Bass Pro las year on sale and it is well worth the money in cold weather. It is on sale right now as well I think for like $69 a piece.

9. 160983

160983 Guest

Stormkloth II fleece is the winner. I had to order it as it was out of stock in my size. I was rubbing it against a "tree" in the deer stand area. Most people thought I was on drugs but a few realized what I was up to in checking noise. Thanks again for the input and happy hunting.:cheers:

10. cowboy

cowboy New Member

i just got the H4 and it is awsome. It isnt quiet at all. Best hunting clothing purchase ive made in a long time. :cheers:

11. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I have the H7 and it is quiet and very warm. It has to be 40 or less before i can wear it.I also bought the the boot covers. They work good with lighter boots. Not so well with heavy insulated boots.
    The H7 also is suppose to have odor elimanination in it.