Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do all think about mixing a red clover with a white (large) synergy clover? The reds seem to do better with drought conditions.
Ive got an area Im tired of messing with and tired of dumping money on and want to get something that will be around for a few years

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Check the growth characteristics of the mix....Durana and a few others have a stronger tendency to reproduce and colonize from the root system compared to old fasioned red clover that is seed reproduction only...also some of these clovers actually need to be either grazed or mowed.

You sound like me...gettin tired of messin with clovers that still dont work in our wonderful moderate 108 degree, high wind, no rain for over a month climate!

I think its time to blame someone. I blame Clair whats her name...she has to be behind this, right?

·
Registered
575 Posts
WD,you've had rain in the last month,lucky you.I'll have to post some pics of my desert.I mixed some red and white last year and had a pretty good stand.It's doing better than the white only I planted.The best areas are where it stays shaded all day.I'm thinking run a disc lightly through all my clover plots and overseed with alfalfa.See what happens.I've got one plot of about 4 ac. in alfalfa,deer just tore it up.
Mike

·
Registered
791 Posts
Tob - I haven't seen my plot in 2 months. But, I just spoke with my cousins and they said they've received adequate rain. Still a bit dry, but seemly enough.

Most likely my clover is dried up too, and I'm getting tired of working the ground all the time. I'm thinking of going with all Chicory, and something else, maybe alfalfa. The deer seem to hammer the alfalfa, as well as the chicory. Every time I do go out there, the chicory is smiling! :D It's some tough ****!!

My Mix:
Synergy 35%
Imperial 35%
Red 10%
White 20%

And the other:
Chicory 75%
Alfalfa 25%

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
A kura endura ???? I did alittle reading on it and chickened out try to get a stand established. It has an amazing stand life on test farms in Wisconsin, but they said it was slow to establish and was tested on irrigated farms. We have such a cheat grass problem that a slow to establish legume would be real pain in my:***:. And then the lack of info on lower moisture environments made me that much more hesitant. That stuff is higher than top of the line RR alfalfas,,so it was pretty easy to scare me off. Has anyone tried it here in our area without the higher quality soils and irrigation it was tested with in Wisonsin???

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I guess we are going to break loose for a bag of RR alfalfa...lime the heck out of everything and see what happens.
We already have about 6 acres of alfalfa, but weed control is a problem and wont be with the RR alfalfa.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rmr, never mixed the 2 and they want $1+/lb for red.
Pinwheel, just sent all the forms in to monsanto from my coop, they want coordinates of your fields you will be planting. Im waiting for the pricing from my coop, and the seeding rate. I know its 100 and something just for the gene rights or something like that and thats before paying per lb for the seed itself.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I always mix red, ladino, and chicory in my perennials, and generally more than one type of red, sometimes another white on top of the ladino

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.