Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
just a no body
15,627 Posts
been too hot and fuel to high for me to mow but mine is thick if you can see it under all the grass etc. I figure mid/late August I'll get out there a trim it up.. lots of deer beds in that high stuff tho

·
Registered
418 Posts
so you spray to kill off anything that isn't clover, right? how would I be able to tell if the seed I bought is roundup ready or not? I didn't even think to look when I did it.

guess I could spray a small patch and see what happens.

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
so you spray to kill off anything that isn't clover, right? how would I be able to tell if the seed I bought is roundup ready or not? I didn't even think to look when I did it.

guess I could spray a small patch and see what happens.
Are you talking about Roundup Ready clover?

·
Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,622 Posts
that's what I was asking, how could someone tell if they have roundup ready clover or not planted if they didn't check the bag or ask for that when buying it? I've got Ladino and Red planted at my place. Hopefully getting down there this weekend.
To the best of my knowledge there are NO seed distributors offering ANY variety of round up ready clover although most clover varieties are "tolerant" of light sprayings of round up but doing so leads to the development of round up resistant weeds over time.

I believe when these guys are referring to spraying they are using clethodim or similar when targeting grasses and butyrac or similar when targeting broadleafs........not round up.

·
just a no body
15,627 Posts
I have used a low dose of RU before while spraying clover. It is a slow kill and some of the hardier weeds dont die. The Clover takes a hit but comes back fine. Sure is cheaper than Cleth

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
that's what I was asking, how could someone tell if they have roundup ready clover or not planted if they didn't check the bag or ask for that when buying it? I've got Ladino and Red planted at my place. Hopefully getting down there this weekend.
@CuivreDog2 is right. The answer to your question is easy, there is no roundup ready clover.
People are touting lowered rates of glyphosate to control annual grasses in clover stands but you are setting yourelf up for resistance doig that, not to mention it isnt on the label.

And yes, you need surfactant with clethodim. That combination will cause compatibility issues if you pre-mix it which is why there are no premixes. In fact, I tell people to mix and spray everything they need when they are doing graminicide applications and not save the leftover spray. Clethodim will hydrolyze in the presence of water when you store spray solution.

Reactions: TexasCountyMoHunter

·
1,869 Posts
I picked up some Clethodim and it's sky high like everything else. Was $100/gallon.

If you don't have crop oil, you can use dish soap as surfactant. Works well.

You can use 2,4 DB to kill broadleaf weeds in clover. Be careful not to use 2,4 D. It will kill your clover and not the grass.

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
2,4-DB wont control grasses either and if you are not careful to apply the correct rate, DB can set your broadleaf crop back also.
If you have grasses, clethodim or sethoxydim are you best bets, in that order.

Dish soap wILL work in a pinch but I’m not skipping a quality methylated seed oil or crop oil concentrate on any of my grass herbicides.

·
just a no body
15,627 Posts
2,4-DB wont control grasses either and if you are not careful to apply the correct rate, DB can set your broadleaf crop back also.
If you have grasses, clethodim or sethoxydim are you best bets, in that order.

Dish soap wILL work in a pinch but I’m not skipping a quality methylated seed oil or crop oil concentrate on any of my grass herbicides.

yea if your gong to lay out the $$ for Cleth then the crop oil is just a formality and would be foolish not to go the extra mile.

·
1,869 Posts
I'm not saying to use 2,4 DB for grass. I'm saying it can be used to control the inevitable broadleaf weeds. Just throwing options out. My clover looks great, but as the years go on, the broadleaf weeds find a home in there with the grass.

I'd agree, use a proper surfactant but soap will suffice and is definitely better than nothing.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
983 Posts
I didn't use lot of Clethoderm but used crop oil with it. Think I used around 8-9 ozs for 15 gals of Cleth plus crop oil. Got a good grass kill this year. As someone said Clethoderm is very expensive as is Glyphosate products. I lowed my ozs per gal still got a good kill.

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
yea if your gong to lay out the $$ for Cleth then the crop oil is just a formality and would be foolish not to go the extra mile.
Crop oil concentrate is cheaper than dish soap anyway, and more effective.
This gallon will make 100 gallons of spray solution and costs only $0.20 per gallon of spray solution. They sell it or similar right where you pick up your clethodim

Reactions: beanpile
1 - 20 of 27 Posts