Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I went out and bought 40lbs of clover 15 being ladino and 25 red. This will be my first year putting in food plots but just curious when I should put this in. I am also gonna put a bean and corn plot together also with a field of alfa alfa

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Need a bit more info. Do you have anything prepared? Are you seeding into wheat or another cereal grain? Do you need to kill fescue? If you just want to frost seed now is a good time but there may be other things that need done first.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
OK you will have to wait for whatever you are trying to kill starts growing before spraying (assuming you will spray w/roundup). If it is fescue that will be fairly early spring. Plant your clover as early as possible so that it gets a head start on any possible heat/drought this summer. Also be careful to not cover clover seed too deep. Try to keep it in the top 1/4" if possible. Broadcast and lightly drag or roll the seed in will be sufficient. Good luck with your plots. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
not wanting to hijack...maybe this will hope both of us...

around my plot I have alot of 'field' that was once used for pasture. Soil is pretty good but nothing but fescue grass. Can I just frost seed some clover in? I know it will not be a full clover plot but won't it put some clover in the grass and get them browsing a bit more? or should I just forget broadcasting clover into a field?

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I think I would try burning first chance you get (if you haven't done it, get some experienced help), then spraying early spring, discing and seeding. Good luck.

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
[rquote=1582406&tid=109828&author=JrNation88]not wanting to hijack...maybe this will hope both of us...

around my plot I have alot of 'field' that was once used for pasture. Soil is pretty good but nothing but fescue grass. Can I just frost seed some clover in? I know it will not be a full clover plot but won't it put some clover in the grass and get them browsing a bit more? or should I just forget broadcasting clover into a field?[/rquote]

You can broadcast into fescue, just keep it mowed regularly and the clover will stay strong. That is why clover grows so well along paths in crp fields...the tracks allow sunlight in and the clover to germinate. We scatted seed clover on our fescue pastures in early spring/late winter with great success. The cows keep everything mowed down so the clover can compete. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
We frost seed clover into fescue all the time for hay/cattle. It will grow there just not as well as w/o the fescue competition.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Could always come back and spray a grass seletive herbicide over the clover this spring when the fescue is growing well....

·
Registered
17,331 Posts
[rquote=1582687&tid=109828&author=centralMOhntr]Could always come back and spray a grass seletive herbicide over the clover this spring when the fescue is growing well....[/rquote]

this would be my method no need for discing ground for clover..............if grass aint tall i would frost seed then spray this spring with a grass selective. by discing your only bringing more of a weed problem on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.