Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering i have heard not to fertilize clover and would it hurt to if any. I have planted a logging road and it is not getting very big dont think the deer are that thick in my area.

·
Registered
777 Posts
probably more to do with lack of sunlight and possible a ph out of whack on that logging road. Adding some P and K might help but I wouldn't expect much....N not recommended generally for clovers.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Clovers will be pretty dormant over the hot months....look to fertilize with a low N, med P, and a hi K around September. Expect to overseed next February and fertilize again. 0-12-24 would be great, with at least 200lbs/acre.

Don't forget to do a soil test and apply your lime whenever you can....:wave:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I've never heard don't fertilize it, only heard don't use high N. N isn't needed and by adding more than it produces itself you're only feeding the weeds. I always fertilize with an even (13-13-13) on planting, but try not to afterwards

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,534 Posts
MFA recomended I fertilize with 6-24-24 @ 200#/acre My clover is thriving. Mowed it about 3 weeks ago, It's already over a foot high. This was a spring planting. . I did add 4 ton to the acre of lime though & I think that has as much to do with it as anything. I also say lack of sun & low ph is probably the most contributing factors of poor growth.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
I did something this year, that I believed really helped my clover, alfalfa fields besides the 0-60-60 that I always add in the spring. I added 1 lb/acre of Boron as suggested by my coop and I bailed more square bails first cutting this year than any other years first cutting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
TOBRYAN,
What was the reasoning behind the Boron? Was it easy to get, and how much per lb. Thanks for the info, I'm fall planting 5 acres of clover, and want to give it the best boost I can. Already have the local coop on standby with the soil test, I'd just like to know more about using Boron.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
It was in my soil test that came back from the coop. He also suggested some sulphur. Ill see if I can get a pic in here of the results next week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.