Clover seeds and things

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by WhiteTailer, Feb 12, 2006.

1. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Ok, i just purchased a Seed sample kit from the Whitetail institute. when i called them and i asked if the packs came with the tag that stated the protein, nitrates etc and Cleanleness of the seeds. i was told that all there seed packs had it.

well i got them and no tag with any of them. My wife has a degree in Horticulture, she was looking for the Botanical names and varities of these seeds..that cant be found anywhere either.

i went to the Web site, and found nothing but General and Very Broad claims to species of Plants.

Heck, the Extreme seed pack dosent even tell you whats in it!!!

if they have a species of Clover that they created why isnt it all over there web site and packageing? i dont get it. if they did create a new variaty, they would have been issued a Plant Patent, but they have non.

am i crazy to think that they put their name on basic Clover and say its "Better" or Geneticly proven for deer?

can i go to Sharpe Bros seeds and get the same thing for half price or better?

i would like to be proven wrong with actual Data and material, not hear say. i am very dissapointed about this, im getting ready to plant plots and so far i dont know more than before, and i will not buy crap because they have a deer on the package.
  2. danceswithbooze

danceswithbooze New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    I think you are on to something. I've always felt that the food plot specific seed sold to hunters like you and I was nothing but good marketing. Put some pictures of a huge buck with an enourmous rack on the front of a package filled with plain ole clove and we are sure to buy it at twice the price.

I, unfortunatly, don't have the background that your wife does. So I look for the pretty pictures. :wink:

3. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    You are NOT crazy.

I buy most of my seed at Miller Seed in Clinton or Nixa Hardware in Nixa.

Strangely, the bags of cheap generic fall oats I bought were labeled from the same small town in Arkansas that Buck Forage Oats come from.
  4. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I would not waste my money buying seeds from companies such as Whitetail Institute and others. Do as Redonthehead has stated, go to your local seed dealer/store and buy the generic crap.
    We've been putting ladino clover down with great results.
    Good Luck.
  5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If there are no claims of "certified seed" on the packaging, they are not required to list the species, %weed seeds, or anything else that the dept of agriculture requires.
  6. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    I have bought Alpha-Rack and No-Plow from them and both had a tag on the bag that told the different seeds and % of those seeds packaged.I think I still have the No-Plow bag so I will look tomorrow. I dont know if thats what your looking for though.
  7. WhiteTailer

Apr 20, 2005
    But if you go to their web site they talk about "there" own Geneticly enhanced seed, proven for whitetail. that to me no matter the size of the package of seed dictates a tag...Right?
  8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Anyone can sell any seed they want but the only seed that is required by US Dept. of Ag to list the seed hybrids and %weedseed is certified seed. They can make all the claims they want about "their own genetically enhanced seed" ect and may never be required to substantiate that claim. About the only way a company gets called to the carpet on claims if if they make an unsubstantiated comparitive claim against a competitor.
  9. WhiteTailer

Apr 20, 2005
    got it, if thats true, then they sell nothing different than what i can get cheaper here locally. good to know.
  10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Even though I agree about the clovers not being a special strain of clover . I would still stick with a developed strain of ladino clover over just an untreated vernal variety. Synergy ladino is a good variety of ladino that is refered to as a jumbo ladino clover and will be treated and have a higher germination rate and will have larger plants to produce more tonage per acre after being established. With that said it will still be just alittle over half the price of the imperial brand. The brassicas is where these deer pictured labels really are cleaning up. They are takeing brassicas that normally retail from $1 to $2 a pound and are selling them for well over $5 a pound.

11. mobiggerbucks

mobiggerbucks New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    lake of the ozarks
    They do not want to tell you what the seeds are or what the mixture is because they do not want you to go to the elevator and buy it yourself . They get $4.00 to $5.00 for a pound of ladino in a fancy bag . You can buy the same thing at MFA for $2.00 in a plastic bag . They are getting $3.00 for red clover . You can get it for $1.00 anywhere you want to go . I am certainly not criticising them for their marketing . I wish I had thought of it . Now it is too late . Everyone is on to the trick . It was good . It made some people very rich .

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Im with Henry on this one, I usually 100% synergy ladino on my farm, huge leaves and a ton of growth. We even hay it along with our alfalfa, just keep feeding the P and K to it.
    On a side note if one of the popular expensive brands has been marked down a bunch at walley world I will try some on one of my smaller plots just to see how the deer react to it.